Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Weight Loss sometimes equals hair loss...

As it is obvious by more than half of my posts here, I've been working a weight loss program for about 6 months. Well, 6 months this time, but weight management is something that has been a goal of mine since...well...since forever.

This is the most successful I have ever been...evidenced by losing 77 pounds to date. Let me tell you, there are some negative side effects to losing weight. One, you have to spend money on clothes since many of your favorite outfits can no longer be favorites because they don't fit. Two, you end up spending more money on food at times because the quality of the food you put into your body becomes more important than the price tag. Another negative is that since I have lost tons of weight, my hair has actually thinned some. The research tends to say that this happens at about the 40 lbs. lost mark. I guess your body realizes that it is losing a good chunk of it's mass, so it concerns itself less with maintaining non-essential things like hair. Luckily, I have a lot of hair and it is thick...so the thinning isn't very noticeable. It's noticeable to me...but it's not some of the horror stories I have read on the internet. I have read about people having bald spots while losing weight, etc. Mine is just a thinner ponytail. And, the good news is that once you stop losing weight...the original thickness of your hair comes back...not overnight, but it does come back.

Anyways, I was lucky enough to get a free sample of this shampoo and conditioner from Naked Naturals and got the chance to try it out. Here is the kind they sent me...

Photobucket

Now, I am usually very picky about shampoo and conditioner that I will use. One of the main reasons is for moral reasons. I won't use any shampoo or conditioner that is tested on animals or made with any animal products. Being the vegetarian that I am, that's probably not much of a shock. Now what is often surprising is how many types of hair care products I cannot use. I can't just buy a new type of product, I have to research it. The first thing I did when I got this sample is head to naked naturals website and check it out. I am happy to report that it contains no animal products and it is not tested on animals.

Secondly, I like products that don't just make my hair smell pretty, but also does something for it. Now, this product does smell great...the lavender scent is wonderful. I have it in my hair right now...and it smells amazing. What I love even more than it smelling like a bouquet of flowers is that it is helping my hair stay strong and healthy...especially given the hit it has taken due to the weight loss. The website advertises that is has 7X the protein of normal products. That is a huge benefit...because it is strengthening my hair each and every time I use it. I have only used it a couple of times, so I haven't noticed a huge difference...but I did see less hair around the drain the last time I took a nice, hot shower. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the free sample and I am definitely going to buy the product. They have some other amazing scents too...I saw a citrus one that looks scrumdiddlyumptious.

If you ever see some of this stuff at the store or at your salon, pick some up. I swear, you won't be disappointed. It's good for your hair. It's good for the environment...and it's good for those cute little animals.



Labels: , , , ,