Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Lent commitments....

I mentioned in a post a while back...that I was unsure what I was going to do for Lent. Was I going to give up pizza and candy like I always do? Was I going to do something different since my diet is taking care of that anyways??

Today Lent officially starts. I'm not Catholic, so it's not a requirement that I give up anything, but I usually always do. I can remember being a little kid and telling my mom I was giving up homework for Lent...and just being impressed with how cute I was.

For 2008, here are my commitments for the Lenten period:

1. Giving up Pizza...as I always do. It should be easy enough. I haven't had a slice since mid-September, so 6 more weeks should be no big deal.

2. Giving up candy...as I always do. Once again, should be easy enough to do since simple sugars are not on my plan.

3. Giving up soda. I haven't had soda in the longest time, but I want to commit to not having any for the next 6 weeks. I doubt it will be a problem since I have had the same 2 bottles of diet Pepsi in my fridge since before Christmas.

4. Instead of giving up, I am giving back. I am committing to going to church for the next 6 weeks of Lent, no exceptions. Plus, I am going to increase the amount of money I put in the offertory plate each week. I am also going to look for ways to continue to get involved with church activities during this 6 weeks, etc.

I know my friend Heather (hey Hottie!) is doing the same church commitment...in hopes of finding a new church home.

Anyone else giving up something for Lent???

Labels: , ,