Tuesday, January 29, 2008

lent sment...

Happy Tuesday all!!

I went for another run yesterday. I get out of work an hour early on Mondays and Fridays, so I got home...strapped on my shoes...got my workout clothes...and headed out for a quick run. I did a warm up walk for about a mile...then ran...jogged rather for 2.5 miles and then did a cool down walk for about 3/4 of a mile. It was a nice day to go out for a run because the weather was a little warmer....it was in the mid-30s. I am hoping to get another run out of the way during the week...and then run to dad's again on Saturday...and increase the distance to at least 4 miles. The 5 mile race I want to run is at the end of March, so from today...I have 60 days until it's go time. I am pretty sure if I keep on pace, I'll be ready. I have to accomplish two things...I have to increase the distance I am running...and increase the speed of which I run. I'll work on the distance first...then the speed.

Let's see...what else is going on??? Oh, Lent is coming up. I have to decide what I am going to do for Lent. Lent starts on 2/5 and goes until 3/23. Now, I am not Catholic, so Lent isn't a requirement for me, but I usually do participate. I like the idea of giving something up for 6 weeks with a higher purpose.

Now, I usually always give up candy and pizza for Lent. One, it usually helps me say no to eating them...and two, it's a great health conscious thing to do. One of my favorite candies in the world is the Cadbury Mini Eggs, so if I give up candy for Lent...I am not tempted to eat my body weight with those little suckers. And pizza...is always something I love. If it was at all healthy, I could eat pizza for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert and never grow sick of it.

I have been thinking if I want to give those things up again...because in essence, I have given them up since mid-September already. I haven't had a slice of pizza or a piece of candy since mid-September. So, do I really need to give it up completely for another 6 weeks? Well...I guess I don't, but why not? It's not going to hurt me to be without pizza and candy for another 6 weeks. Plus, it might help since I am starting to transition out of the weight loss phase into the maintenance phase.

But...I think I might do something else for Lent too. It's not giving something up, but increasing my commitment. I think I might put more $$$ in the offertory plate at church for those 6 weeks...and commit to going to church each week. That might be a nice addition to giving up the pizza and sweets.

I don't know...I have a week until I have to decide...but that is what I am thinking.

Labels: , ,