Monday, December 31, 2007

It's New Year's Eve people!!!

I can't believe it's NYE...this year has flown by. It's been a good and a bad year. I have liked my job, taken getting healthy seriously, saw my brother and his family 3 times this year, etc. Of course, the bad...is that my mom passed away this year. Most of the time, I have adjusted and can say that I am happy and found a way to move on that honors her...but on some days, I just miss her something fierce....you know, when you have a question that only she would know the answer to. All in all...I have high hopes for 2008.

I am not someone who makes New Year's Resolutions...I think they are cliche and that people don't really mean them when they make them. I think people make them...knowing they are going to break them.

But I do believe in setting goals for the upcoming year. Why is a New Year's Goal different than a resolution??? The intent just feels different to me, that's all.

So, here are a few of my goals in 2008:

1. For the first time, losing a truckload of weight is not one of my goals...and I couldn't be happier. I set a goal last year to lose 45 lbs in 2007...and instead, I lost 47. I have a few more I would like to lose, but that doesn't mean I don't have any fitness goals.
*I would like to ramp up my exercise even one more notch. I want to keep doing the cardio (with my rusty trusty elliptical) and also do a lot of circuit training to tone and shape what I've got.
*I want to run a 5K. I put that as a goal last year...and I walked a 5K, so I thought...good enough. Not good enough. I want to run one. We have a local runners club here and they have 5Ks throughout the year...so, I want to sign up for one. There is one in March...and I might sign up for that one to push myself to be ready by then. I won't like training and working up to it in the cold, but I'll survive!
*A fitness goal I have...is to figure out how to maintain my weight. I have had success at losing weight and gaining weight, but staying the same weight...that is such a mystery to me. So, I want to maintain my weight...and plan on giving myself a reward for each month I maintain my loss...once I am done losing.

2. I want to be more organized in all areas of my life. I want to be more organized at home. I want to constantly keep the apartment clean. Instead of letting it get gross and disgusting...and then doing a mass cleaning, I want to keep on top of it every single day. I also want to be more organized at work...I want to not let things pile up. So, I am looking for 2008 to be the year of organization.

3. I want to be more active with my church this year. They have been really wonderful this year. My mom loved church and so being there is a really nice way to be close to her. I want to get involved in more things...and become more connected to the church, other than through my mom.

4. I want to expand my wardrobe. I want to buy some more clothes...but within a budget. I plan on buying a new item or so every time I get paid. It would be nice to not be still wearing clothes I was wearing in high school.

5. I want to continue saving money. I want to start a Christmas savings account so that the holiday spending doesn't always seem like such a pinch. I also want to save for another trip to Florida...possibly going with some friends, etc. And, I also want to take another look at my monthly budget...making sure I am saving all the $$$ I can.

Those are some goals I have...I am sure I will have more and that I will tweak them, but those are the thoughts that come to mind.

Anyone else have new year's goals????

Labels: ,