Sunday, November 11, 2007

thank god I have a dentist now...

I went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago. I hate the dentist, well...I take that back. I am afraid of all dentists, even though my dentist is amazing. I was at the dentist finishing off the last round of re-doing a root canal that my last dentist didn't do too well.

You know, I have had years where I didn't go to the dentist because I was terrified of them and stayed away. And there are also years I did not go to the dentist when I wanted to, but I didn't have dental insurance. The one main job I had in Indiana was a great job, but I worked for a small, non-profit organization, so they could not provide health or dental insurance for their employees.

The tooth that got fixed the other week, when it started to go bad...I didn't have health insurance. Even with health insurance, I had to pay in the hundreds of dollars in order to get it fixed. I can't imagine how much it would have cost me if I didn't have any coverage. When I first got back to NY is when the tooth first started acting up...it was hurting and a filling fell out, so there was a hole there. I wasn't able to get to a dentist right away...because well, to be honest, I could not afford it. So, I went to the store and bought some Dentemp OS. Dentemp is that stuff that you put in your mouth for temporary dental repair. Let me tell you, the stuff is wonderful. I used it for longer than you are supposed to. I had to survive for a few months until I had a job with dental insurance and could get it taken care of, but I digress. The stuff is amazing. It fills the filling...and it isn't messy at all. Plus, it has some pain medicine in it, so it fills the filling area and also adds some pain relief. I have bought more of those little tubs than I want to admit. So, I will say...if you ever have a dental issue and can't get to your dentist right away...buy this stuff. I swear, it's like gold to us, you know the people who used to be poor and not have health insurance.



Labels: , , ,