Thursday, May 03, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #28


Thirteen Things About Shelley And Being Healthy!


As my blog reads...I am focused back on all things fitness related, so I thought I would share 13 tid bits about Shelley and being healthy!

1. I have consistently tried to change my language when I talk about weight loss and dieting...mainly...stop saying weight loss and dieting. I try to talk about health and fitness and choices, etc. I know that until I see it as powerful long beyond losing weight and inches...I won't truly be getting anywhere.
2. Having said that...losing weight is always still a part of my goal. I want to look better, but I also want to be stronger and healthier...and being at a lower weight is crucial to that.
3. I signed up for a walking challenge at work...and one through Women's Day. I am excited about that. I have been wearing my pedometer every single day and tracking my steps. I have gotten at least 10,000 steps everyday...which is great since I work at a desk job.
4. I have been walking with a co-worker of mine during our 15 minute breaks. It's nice to have a break from the office, do something healthy and have someone I like to chit chat with.
5. I have really come to terms with how much of an emotional eater I am. I know that I cover things with food...and many of my thoughts about food are actually quite OCD. I think I was in denial about this before...and was a big part of my problem.
6. Speaking of food...I am loving the food I am eating lately. I have been making fresh, frothy protein shakes. I have been making homemade sorbet. I have been eating lots of salad, etc.
7. I was talking with a co-worker yesterday...eating well doesn't mean eating things that taste like cardboard. I think when we make ourselves misreable for the benefit of a diet...we fail. I love the food I eat. It's colorful and flavorful. It's something that I really savor. Except for watching portion controls and such...I really don't feel like I am on a diet when I am eating right.
8. There I go saying diet again...sheesh!
9. My eating habits and such...is such a genetic/family thing. Both of my parents have type 2 diabetes and my mom has unfortunately had a lot of complications because of it. In many ways...it's my motivation. I know I have to take care of my body today, so that it takes of me tomorrow.
10. I had a mini-revelation last night...I ended up eating way more than I planned. I ate tons of goldfish crackers...and some M&Ms, etc. But then I thought about...if I ate some crackers and a couple of handfuls of M&Ms...is that the end of the world? Nope. I didn't order a pizza...and almost eat it all. So, even in little mis-steps...I did well. I was proud of myself.
11. I am going to give mad props to my Magic Bullet once again. I just think the world of the thing...and it has helped me make yummy healthy food...that I know exactly what is in it...because I am the one making it. Mmm..mmm...good!
12. I really enjoying blogging about health and fitness. It gives me something to be accountable to...and I have found some like friends out there in the world wide web. I was never someone who wanted to go to meetings, but I like checking in on smoe internet friends...and having them check in on me.
13. Last tid bit...if I stop blogging about anything health-wise...it probably means I am slipping and eating pizza instead of blogging. Call me on it, mkay??? lol





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Labels: , , , , , ,