Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I can carry a gun, but not pepper spray?

Let's face it...I am avidly anti-guns. I don't EVER plan on owning one. I don't ever plan on using one. If I have children, I will not allow my child to play at someone home unless I know that there is not a gun in that home. Guns are just not a part of my life.

But we also know I work in the criminal justice system. I work with a bunch of guys who used to be correctional officers. They think my ideas about guns are just silly and stupid...and that I should have one in my apartment for my own protection. Even though...I know full well that because I am not comfortable with one, don't know how to use one and don't want to shoot someone (no matter what)...that a gun is much more likely to be used against me than to be used to protect me.

That's right...under no circumstances will I ever own a gun. Nope. Not going to happen.

I would like to own some mace pepper spray though. I have before. I owned pepper spray when I was in college. I carried it on my keychain just in case I needed it. I can remember walking home late at night by myself and having that pepper spray gave me a little peace of mind.

Now the interesting thing is...that it is legal in the state of New York for me to carry a gun, but it is illegal for me to carry pepper spray. That just seems so backward to me. What is that actually telling us? Let's see...if I use a gun then someone (including myself) might actually die, but if I use pepper spray someone might be effected by it, but not dead. This website won't let me even purchase something like mace or pepper spray because it is illegal to ship it to me in the state of New York.

Let me tell you...that's frustrating. It makes me wanna just pepper spray someone in the face! (Did you notice I didn't say shoot someone in the face...giggles)

Labels: