Saturday, February 17, 2007

with 20 minutes to spare!

Hey y'all....I almost didn't get to post today. Why is that? Well...as I wrote about before...I bought the Windows XP Professional Upgrade this week and it came in the mail yesterday. So, I decided to go ahead and upgrade.

At first...it seemed like it was going fabulously well. I thought I might be a computer genius and be able to do something all by my lonesome...without consulting with a computer smarty pants. I installed the Windows XP...and then looked and all my old files and systems were there. Whoo hoo! right?

Well...yes...until I clicked onto my wireless network card. Then...all the troubles started. I didn't read in the install specifications....that the wireless card won't work when it has the driver for Windows 98...and if I don't uninstall it before installing XP...that it might not uninstall at all once I have XP up and a running. So...the internet card would not work and therefore...my computer would not connect to the internet. So...I figured, I will uninstall it and then just install it again....no problem. Except...the damn thing would not uninstall. I tried and tried and tried...and just kept getting an error message. So...I tried installing from the disc. Nope...nothing.

So, I thought...well I will call the tech support number from the network card people on the box. I got through to the company...and got someone on the phone with a very thick indian accent....who proceeded to have to do a bunch of things that did not even get close to working. *grumbles* Then...he had me rip open my computer and take my network card out...and told me to call back when I got that done. So...I did that...and called back...and got a guy with an even thicker indian accent. This guy had me do a few different things (when I could actually understand what he was saying...) and then proceeded to say that the problem was not with their software or the card or the driver...but with my computer and I needed to call my computer company and have them fix it. *grumbles*

So...then I called my brother...who has been a computer tech for a bunch of different companies, etc...and told him my issue. He asked me to do a couple different things...and voila...within about 10 minutes...my computer and network card were up and running. I felt like calling the tech line back and just telling them how much of an idiot they were.

But positive spin and long story short...I now have Windows XP on my computer and my internet is now working. whoo hoo! Plus...my brother is awesome...and even more awesome that I can understand what he is saying since he is without a thick indian accent!

Labels: