Thursday, December 07, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #12


Thirteen Things About Shelley And Dieting


1. I have been overweight or pudgy for most of my life. The goal of being healthy and fit and at a healthy weight are so important to me.
2. The have done all those fad/crash diets...I even bought some thing that I will supposed to sniff before each meal and it would change the smell of my foods and therefore not make me crave food anymore. I can't believe I spent money on that crap, but then again...I can.
3. The first time I seriously attempted weight loss (and not just hoped some magic pill would work while I was continuing to eat pizza and not workout)...was in 2000. I started walking to work and counting all my calories.
4. Bewteen 2000 and 2001...I lost about 50 pounds.
5. I lost it with diet and exercise. I am a big believer in the move more and eat less concept of dieting. I worked out about 5 times a week...worked a job which consisted of walking and doing street outreach and kept pretty good tabs on my eating everyday.
6. By 2003...unforunately, I gained all of that weight back. I was...at that time...living by the concept of eating more and moving a heck of a lot less.
7. In 2003-2004..I started a weight loss program again. I ordered some...wait...that's wrong...I started using some workout tapes that I had ordered years ago and never used. I was counting calories again and working out 6 times a week. I was diligent about the working out...knowing that was the key.
8. I lost a little over 50 pounds during the year....and was feeling the best in my life.
9. The weight lost was important, but the physical shape and endurance were most important. I could workout and not feel horrible...I could run on my treadmill for miles at a time...I welcomed hiking on a mountain. That is something I am so proud of.
10. Get ready for it...I moved back to NY in 2004 and ended up moving in with my parents for about a year and a half. Living with my parents brought back a lot of bad eating habits...and it also messed with my workout schedule. I wasn't able to get in 6 workouts a week anymore.
11. And yep...I gained back about 30 pounds or so. I felt so depressed about it all...since I had lost all weight. The positive thing...that I kept working out a few days a week, so I had the extra weight, but still had a pretty good endurance when it came to cardio.
12. In January of 2006, I started again...I started working out again and watching what I ate. I set a goal of 50 pounds and to date I have lost 31 pounds to date.
13. I can feel myself slipping back into my old patterns and starting to regain weight...but that it why I refuse to lose focus and talk about weight and fitness so much. I refuse to spend the rest of my life losing and gaining these same 50 pounds.




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Labels: ,