Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Happy Birthday to my Mommy!!!!

Today is my mommy birthday...so happy birthday Mommy! I took the day off work today so that I could take her out to lunch and such...since this week is pretty much all about Thanksgiving and such, but I want today to be about my mommy and her birthday.

What did I do this weekend? Not a whole heck of a lot. On Saturday...my roommate and I celebrated Leo Day. What is Leo day you ask?? Well...my roommate loathes the movie, "The Titanic" and because of it...she has an irrational hatred of Leonardo DiCaprio. I happen to be a fan of Leo and think that in many of his movies...he is an absolutely fabulous actor.

So...I decided we should have a Leo Day...a day where I sat her down and had her watch a few Leo movies which are think he is quite great in. It was my attempt to show her that he is more than the fluff movie which was Titanic. We watched "This Boy's Life" "Basketball Diaries" "Romeo and Juliet" and "Gangs of New York."

My personal favorite Leo movie is "Basketball Diaries." I dare someone to watch that movie and not respect Leo's acting talent....he is just amazing to watch in that role...his commitment to the character. We didn't watch "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" which is another Leo movie I adore...and think he rocks in...because my roommate had already seen it.

I don't think she is a fan of Leo as of yet...but I think she might not have as much disdain for him as an actor...and in that sense...Leo Day was a success.

I also watched some documentaries this weekend....I watched Hacking Democracy...a new documentary on HBO about the electronic voting machines. It was haunting to watch...and really makes me desperately sad about our state or elections and how easily they can be manipulated and bought. This documentary really broke my heart...watch it if you get the chance.

And the other documentary that I watched was Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth. It was also heart breaking to watch...to see the science and facts behind the damage we are doing to our planet. I don't know when it will be enough...so that the politicians will make decisions that value our planet and our future on it. There is a little cartoon about a frog where it jumps into boiling water...and immediately jumps out because it is too hot, etc...but then the frog jumps into lukewarm water and the water gradually gets hotter...and the frog just sits there and boils. That is where we are...nothing is shocking us enough to do something...we just don't seem to care that in 50 or 100 years that the earth might be damaged beyond repair...unless it is effecting us today...sadly...we just don't care. Anyways...watch this one as well...and then commit to changing one thing..heck five things...in your everyday life in order to reduce global warming. I know I plan to.

Labels: