Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Raw Food Diet

I have often been intrigued by the concept of the Raw Food Diet...since I am a vegetarian and have been one for about 6 years now. So, I think after the 1st of the year...I am going to make a move over to the Raw Food way of looking at things. I ordered the Raw Food Detox Diet and requested the Complete Book of Raw Food from the Library. So...I am going into research mode...about the diet, what it consists of, if it is realistic, etc.

The Raw Food Diet intrigues me for a couple of reasons:

1. I LOVE fruits and vegetables...I can't get enough of them. So, I don't really think this would be all that hard for me. I think I would really enjoy eating all those crisp fruits and veggies all the time. People say eating raw is pretty hard...and some things will be...eating out, etc...but since I am already a vegetarian...I don't think it will be as hard as it would be otherwise.

2. One of my major problems when it comes to dieting is processed food...when I go through periods of buying crap things like candy and bags of chips, etc. If I was committed to Raw Food...that would be something that I wouldn't be able to eat.

3. Another problem that I tend to have with dieting is eating out...I go through periods of eating dinners from take out or fast food places. And...that would really limit that if I was doing the whole Raw Food thing.

4. I wish I was starting this in the spring or summer...since I would have so much more options for fruits and veggies...at the farmer's market and such..if it wasn't winter time. But I know that oranges and grapefruit and apples and broccoli and cauliflower and cukes and carrots, etc...etc...etc....will be available. I am excited to think about this diet and spring and summer though...it almost makes my mouth water now!

I do have some concerns about the diet...and I hope to read the books and get some insight.

Concerns:
1- I want to make sure I am not protein deficient. I might need to break from the Raw Food...and drink a protein shake a day or so...to make sure I am getting what I need.
2- I know this diet will end up being expensive...buying fresh fruits and veggies will hit my pocketbook...kind of. If I made myself figure out how much I spent last year on fast food, take out, pizza and crap food from the grocery store....I can easily afford to eat Raw Food.
3- I need to know the specifics of it...what foods to eat when...when is something considered raw or not. Is baby corn raw or is that cooked??? And...I also am looking forward to the Detox book because it gives you a way to slowly inch into eating Raw Food...instead of just jumping in 100% because I know that would be too much of a shock on my body and my system.

So...my new health, fitness plan....is Raw Food. It's out there, but it might be the perfect thing that I need.

Labels: ,