Tuesday, October 24, 2006

to join or not to join...that is the question?

I have given this thought...over and over again. I want to join the Y...I don't want to pay $35.00 a month to do it. I think it could be fun to join the Y...but I also have a bunch of equipment and workout stuff in my apartment.

Pros for Joining the YMCA:
  • There are step classes that I really like and they are free if I join the Y.

  • There are tons of machines there, so I could get a more diverse workout.

  • There are weight training machines so I could do strength training more often.

  • They have great hours...they are open at 5:30am during the week and 8am during the weekends.

  • I could workout there when my roommate is home, which I know I am reluctant to do.

  • Two of my friends have joined...so we could take a class together or we could go to workout together. That would be fun.


  • Cons for Joining the YMCA:
  • It costs $35.00 a month to join. I know that isn't a lot of money, but it is when I think that I have an elliptical machine at home, tapes and weights. It's hard to justify paying that when I have so many aspects of a gym in my apartment.

  • I love the step classes, but I am not always going to be able to go. I used to take a step class everyday, but with work I could probably get in one class a week.

  • Speaking of not being able to go...at most, I am going to be able to go to the Y about 3 times a week. So is it worth the cost if I can only make it there 3 times a week?

  • I know I am much less likely to go in the winter...getting dressed, getting snow off my car, getting to the gym, etc...if I can workout in the warmth of my own apartment.


  • So...what to do...what to do. I think I want to join, but I am so unsure...and spending $420.00 a year just seems ridiculous. However, I did Nutrisystem for 3-4 months...and I spent almost that much monthly on food. If I added up how much money I spend each year on pizza or fast food...it probably is easily that much. Maybe I could wait...and ask for the membership for my big Christmas gift, etc. But then again...I think I want to be the one paying for it because I know if the money is coming out of my pocket...I will be more likely to go. I am interested in fitness, but I am also the cheapest person ALIVE!

    What to do? What to do? Any advice out there in cyberland????