Thursday, October 19, 2006

scale shift

I have done really well this week in terms of food and exercise...I have been eating that yummy chili my mom made for dinner for much of the week...drinking my protein shakes...and not snacking on things I am not supposed to. It's been a good week.

As I have said before...I only officially weigh-in once a month...so then I am not AS obsessed with the scale. I still step on it everyday...because I like some level of insanity in my life, mkay? Plus...I like to see if it is staying where it is or if it is moving in the right direction...or the wrong direction as it might be.

Well...since Sunday when I decided I wasn't letting this sickness win...and refocused...I have been stepping on the scale everyday. Everyday...it hasn't moved...the scale has stuck right where it is...nothing..nada...even though I have been working out and busting my ass.

And then yesterday...I ate what I was supposed to...not cheating...no cookies at the meeting/event I was at. But I got out of work late...and was starving when I got home, so I skipped working out yesterday. I decided it would be my rest day. I made my dinner and then just plopped and watched some tv for the night.

So...I woke up this morning, peed and hopped on the scale...the morning ritual that it is. And the scale went down 2 pounds. Whoo hoo! Yeah...excited! Well...not that excited since I haven't completely lost the weight I gained during my "I am sick so I am going to eat all the comfort food I can find and consider working out a dirty word" period. But still...excited none the less.

Why am I writing all this...cause it got me thinking. I don't think it is a coincidence that my scale showed a loss after my rest day. I used to hate rest days...actually I still do...because then I feel like I am not completely on my fitness game. I also have the bad habit of one rest day turning into 2 rest days and then turning into..."oh jeez, I haven't worked out in a month." You know the drill.

But I have noticed that the drops on the scale have happened more than once after a rest day...it will stay the same for a few days and then after a rest day...drop a pound or two. I am going to pretend to be a scientist or researcher and say that this happens...because I actually gave my body a rest...and it let go and dropped that weight it was going to anyways. It said...phew...we might be worked to the bone everyday...let's get rid of these two pounds. lol

At least that is my theory...and I think that theory will help me feel positive about those rest days...because I know I need them...even though I fight them.