Monday, November 19, 2007

I hate dentists even if they make my smile pretty!



I was talking with a co-worker today about how much I hate...no wait, how afraid I am of dentists. I have been afraid of dentists since I was a little girl. I got a cavity in 3rd grade...and when I got it filled, it hurt like heck. So, I have stayed away from dentists for the past few years until I actually grew up...and got in there and got some work done.

Because of my bad behavior when it comes to going to the dentist as scheduled...I have had problems and sensitive teeth. For a while, my teeth were really sensitive to cold and hot. If I drank an iced tea...I would be in quite a bit of pain. It was not a happy picture. I didn't have dental insurance...so I sucked it up, dealt with it and swore off cold drinks and ice cream for a while. I should have bought some of that sensitive toothpaste, but I didn't even think about it.

Actually, my teeth have been more sensitive to cold lately than they have in a while. I recently got a root canal re-done with my dentist and a crown put on the tooth. It looks nice and healthy, but when I drink my cold water and those icy protein shakes of mine...my teeth sometimes revolt. Ouch.

I had some sensitive toothpaste...and gave it a shot. I figured, it can't hurt right? I used some Biotene sensitive toothpaste and it did help. I have only been using it for a few days, so I wasn't sure if it was making a difference until I drank my icy protein shake this evening. I slurped it down and realized that my teeth weren't screaming at me. Whoo hoo! Biotene...or at least the package...says that it helps with immediate pain, but also works to solve the problem. It says it also reduces saliva...and with less saliva, it can reduce mouth pain. Who knew? I didn't. So far, so good. I am liking this sensitive toothpaste and will continue to use it in the future...whenever I have to visit that evil dentist of mine. (which I don't have to do again until February...phew!)



Labels: ,