Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Who's Watching You Out There On The Net???

I was watching one of those news shows...To Catch a Predator, etc...last week. I am constantly amazed at how many sexual predators they catch, especially since these shows have become so popular. It's kind of scary that the constant attention in the media isn't a deterrent at all.

I was reminded of programs like that when I heard of keylogger. It's this program where it can track all of the keystrokes that someone on a certain computer makes. Now I will be honest...the idea of this program just scares me a tad. Why? Well...basically because I am writing this post at work and well, probably shouldn't be. But I guess that is the point of the program...it is designed to track all of the key strokes that a person makes and it can be a really powerful too, especially for parents.

I don't personally have kids, but I would like to think we would want to trust our kids. However, with the internet out there...you have to be careful. Kids can come into contact with some seriously bad people out there on the net. This program could show you not only where your kids are going, but what they are saying. I'd love a world where we didn't need something like this, but I live in the real world. I have seen enough internet cases where some kid took off to meet their "online love" and then was never seen again. Knowing what websites they went to would be valuable, but imagine how much easier it would be find them if with the click of a mouse you could see what they were saying and who they were talking to. I imagine a lot of missing kid cases might be solved differently if more parents used this program. Yes..we want to trust our kids, but don't we want them alive and well more. Plus, trust is earned, yes?

Labels: ,