Friday, March 09, 2007

Time Management

I went to a work training yesterday....all about time management. It was really interesting. There weren't a lot of new information, but definitely showed me areas in which I needed to apply better time management. There were 9 people in the class and 7 of them were from our office...so we kind of dominated the session. I felt a little bad for the other people there because I am not sure they got their needs met.

One of the things that they talked about was PROCRASTINATION. I am a huge procrastinator....I will leave things until the very last minute. I often tell myself that I think I am more effective with the time pressure on my back...and part of that is true and part of it is an excuse. The interesting thing we talked about though...is that when we are procrastinating something that we don't WANT to do...we will fill our time with other things that are usually pretty productive. Here is an example...times when I was in college and had a paper to write...when I was putting that off...suddenly I would have time to clean my room or mop the kitchen floor. And a more current example...I am mass amounts of filing to get done...which I don't want to do...so instead I went through and closed all my outstanding cases. It needed to get done, but avoiding the filing gave me the perfect motivation.

So, what kind of stuff do you do when you are procrastinating??

Labels: ,