Tuesday, March 06, 2007

some information on rehabs

I wrote a post earlier in the week about how to find therapists, etc...because I think access to information is so crucial. I think most people know that I work for a criminal justice agency and that my job is to find appropriate drug and alcohol programs for offenders. I often refer people to both inpatient and outpatient treatment programs. I usually refer to programs in New York such as Conifer Park, etc.

Well...I came across another rehab that I wanted to talk about a little bit. Stone Hawk is a drug rehabilitation program that is based in Battle Creek, Michigan. It's 1 1/2 hours west of Detriot and 1 1/2 hours east of Chicago. Basically, it's snap down right in the midwest. It's an inpatient program which incorporates native american traditions and beliefs into a standard rehab program.

Now, I have never been to this inpatient program, but there are a couple of things I really like about their website. One, they have a lot of information on their webpage about addiction and drugs of abuse. A lot of people (especially family) don't know a lot about addiction other than one of their loved ones needs help. It's really wonderful to be able to get some information and education while looking into treatment. An example, the site addresses the topic of whether or not marijuana is addictive or not. (Check it out...it's an interesting read)

Two, they also give information about how to pick the right treatment program. Let's face it...every program is not a one size fits all. They give a bunch of questions to ask before picking an inpatient program. That impressed me. It told me they want the right people in their program, not just warm bodies in the beds.

All in all..Stone Hawk seems like a pretty comprehensive program from all the information that is found on thier site. If you are in the midwest (or anywhere else in the country for that matter), you should check out there site if you or anyone you know is in need of treatment. There is a toll free number right on their site for more information.

Labels: ,