Tuesday, March 20, 2007

9 Steps to Regain Your Self-Esteem...

I found this article when I was surfing around online...and thought I would share. I am going to just list the 9 Steps and then my response to them, so if you want to read the whole article, click here.

1. Beware of fake promises: Magazines and TV ads promise you thousands of ways to attain happiness and self-esteem via the products they sell. Some of these promises are as outrageous as can be. Be aware that your commitment to a better life with a healthier body can come to you overnight, but the end goal rarely does. It takes work. Embrace that fact and you will not be fooled by all the fake promises.

I can't agree with this more...I get so easily sucked into those "quick" scams which will make me prettier, thinner and just more popular in 2 easy steps... I always have to remind myself that the race is slow and steady...and that if I reach my goal weight, etc...it's not as if a magic wand will be swished around and all will be right with the world.


2. Understand that what you see in the media is not reality but a moment that has been created and adapted to fit a stereotype. A stereotype is a belief that is applied to all members of a particular group, which is deceiving to say the least.

This is true...but it effects me less, kind of. I mean...think about Friends for example. It's a show where everyone is a size 2 or less...where they all have great jobs and live in a swanky apartment...and in the middle of NYC...there are NO black people...no MUSLIMS.... TV isn't reality...it's there to entertain you, not much more. The Real World is another great example...I watch it...cause it horribly trashy, but it's just about the most unreal thing I have seen in the last decade.

3. Be truthful to yourself about your shape and size. Most likely, your body is a result of genetics and environmental history.

Well...this is kind of true. I do think that people need to accept and love their body, no matter what shape or size. Now, I say this...but I do a piss poor job of actually doing it. I look at myself and my expanding waist line and just shake my head, but we shouldn't let it define WHO WE ARE. Now...do I think it is all genetics and environment? Well...sure, but let's be clear that enviroment is also the choice to eat at Taco Bell twice a week and not workout. Are they habits we learned when growing up which are hella hard to break? Sure...but that doesn't mean that we are destined to be a certain shape and size...we have control, even if it is one of the hardest things in the world.

4. Be aware that your body will change with monthly cycles, eating habits, and even mental state. It is normal, and it happens to all of us.

Well, yes...but it also can be a nice excuse. My body doesn't change too much during my cycle...as long as I don't hunker down and eat tons of chocolate and pizza. My body doesn't change too much when I am depressed...unless I eat uncontrollably. I think that for people like me..who are emotional and stress eaters...it's important to note our moods and at least realize why we are eating more or working out less, etc. It's not something to ignore...and to realize that if we punish ourselves we are just making it worse.

5. Be gentle with yourself. Accept yourself as the perfect creature that you are.

Hardest thing on the planet to do...but yes, we should. It's interesting because I feel that way about other people ALL the time...that they should see their positives and should love themselves more...but do I love myself for "just who I am." Well...not on most days.

6. Stay away from using stereotypes or terms that are degrading to women (or anyone for that matter). Negative thinking will only bring you negative energy.

Okay...except when they are funny...cause sometimes we all just need to laugh. I use the c word...I think it is hilarious. So, it isn't negative thinking for me...calling myself a fat piece of sludge is negative thinking...calling myself a snarky bitch, now that's just comedy.

7. Remind yourself of all the beautiful things that make you an individual.

I do this a lot better than I used to...because I know that I have gifts and that I bring things to the table. I know I am a good friend. I know that I speak the truth. I know that I try my best to be considerate of other people and their feelings. It's nice to remember the good...so we don't get toppled by the bad.

8. You do not have to do this alone. Ask for support from friends and family.

I am lucky. I have a great group of girlfriends...and a wonderful set of work friends. It's nice to have people around you who value you...and who you value. Plus...I couldn't ask for a better family....there was a time that I completely took them for granted, but not anymore...nope.

9. Stop obsessing over it. The world around is so much bigger than us (infinite to be exact) and is moving so fast that your life may pass you by and while you were stressing over your image. Isn' t it more worth it to spend your energy with friends and family enjoying life and having fun?

It sure is...easier said than done though. I am working on it...work in progress...work in progress! give me a break...or I will have bad self-esteem about my bad self-esteem! *giggles*

Labels: , , ,