Thursday, October 26, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #10


Thirteen Things about Shelley Being A Vegetarian


1. There are numerous types of vegetarians. I am technically a lacto-ovo vegetarian. That means that I do not eat any means (beef, poultry, fish), but I do eat milk, cheese and eggs. I don't eat anything that caused the animal to die in order for me to eat it.
2. When I buy eggs...I do buy range free eggs (which I don't often because they are hella expensive). I buy range free because even though the chickens are not killed to get their eggs...in the "egg factories" the chickens are put in horrible, abusive conditions. So...if I eat eggs...range free.
3. I have been a vegetarian since 2000...when I moved out to Indiana to go to grad school. I started wanting to be a vegetarian about 2-3 years prior...it just took me that long to get there.
4. The last piece of meat that I ate...I think it was a double cheeseburger at McDonald's. How sad, eh? I started being a vegetarian in 1999, but I was having a hard time, so I would *sneak* meat from time to time...and a double cheese it was.
5. When people think I am a vegetarian...most people immediately ask why. It's a common question. So, why? Well...it started as a health thing. I wanted to get healthy and lose some weight, so I decided to cut out red meat and just ate a tad bit of chicken. And at the time...my roommate in college was a vegetarian, had a good number of veggie friends and my brother had been a vegetarian for over 10 years. Now I am a vegetarian because I don't think it is necessary for me to kill and eat animals in order to nourish myself. So, I don't.
6. Now that doesn't mean I am one of those vegetarians that gets all crazy because YOU eat meat. I don't feel it is necessary for ME to eat meat, but I don't make that decision for anyone else.
7. I also don't mind if we are out to dinner and the person I am with orders a big steak with all the evil steak juices. You have to eat it..I don't.
8. I get really annoyed when people snap at me and tell me without knowing anything...that I am not eating healthy because I don't eat meat. They tell me how my body is lacking protein, etc. Little do they know...I probably eat more protein than they do.
9. Most people consider me a hardcore vegetarian. I don't eat gelatin that is animal based. I don't eat marshmallows. I don't eat croutons that are flavored with animal products. I don't eat something that has been fried in the same oil that animal products have been fried in. I don't eat soup if it has chicken or beef broth in it. I ask the girl at Subway to change her gloves before she makes her sandwich...cause the last sandwich she made was roastbeef, etc. I don't eat anything that has meat in it...I don't just not eat meat that I can see.
10. I also don't use any animal products. This can be tricky and take a good deal of research. Try to find a hair condition that does not have animal products in it. I don't wear real leather shoes. I have to research a lot of things that I buy...because many things either contain
11. One of my hugest pet peeves...is how trendy or cool being a vegetarian is right now. That annoys me because there are some people who "say" they are vegetarians, but they aren't. They say, "I am a vegetarian...I only eat chicken every once in a while." Umm...that means you are not a vegetarian. And books have even classified one type of vegetarian...of people who still eat fish. It may be in a book, but if you eat fish...in my book...not a vegetarian.
12. I often don't miss meat...but sometimes I do. I miss the convenience and missing out on things. I have to special order so many things...or some restaurant will come out with a brand new, yummy chicken finger or something. It looks great...I would love to try it. And meat still smells good to me too...I just choose not to eat it. I loved..LOVED..Wendy's Chili. I will be driving by a restaurant or a KFC and the smell of chicken, etc...will be intoxicating.
13. People ask me this too...do you think you will be a vegetarian forever? Yes, I do. I don't see myself eating meat...making the decision that it is okay. I might be married and have kids...they might be meat eaters..but I can't see it for me. 6 years ago...I made a decision and I don't see myself changing my mind on that.




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!