Monday, October 16, 2006

Hummus Club Sandwiches

This recipe is something I found on the internet while I was looking for yummy hummus recipes...and something I plan on trying later this week. Just reading it made my mouth water! Once I actually make it...I will come back and say just how good it actually is. If you make it first...then come back and do the same!!!


Hummus Club Sandwiches- Serves 4


3 tbsp. plain fat-free yogurt
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. tahini
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas, drained
12 slices whole wheat bread
2 cups shredded lettuce
8 (1/4 inch thick) slices tomato
4 (1.4 inch thick) slices red onion
1 thinly sliced cucumber
4 cups alfalfa sprouts

Directions:

1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. Spread 2 tbsp. hummus over 1 bread slice; top with 1/2 cup lettuce, 2 tomato slices, 1 onion slice, 1 bread slice, 1/4 cup cucumber, 1 cup sprouts and 1 bread slice. Cut sandwich diagonally into quarters; secure with wooden picks.

Nutritional Information:
Calories: 382; Fat: 6.8g; Protein: 18.8g; Carbs: 67.7g