Thursday, September 07, 2006

Get SMART Challenge Hmk: picking my poison

Hey y'all...once again I got another snazzy homework assignment for the Get Smart Challenge hosted over at Fatfightersblog.com. This challenge is to commit to how you are going to make your challenge goals that you set out.

I set out to be at my goal weight by January 1st....in order to do that I need to lose 21 pounds by January 1st....which is give or take 17 weeks away. So, if I do the math...that is losing 1.25 pounds per week...which means burning off 4375 calories each week...or 625 calories each day.

I went back to my BMR post about a month ago...and checked out where I am at....my BMR is 1666 calories....and with my activity level between sedentary and lightly active (since I have a desk job and all)....my daily caloric intake is between 2000 and 2300 calories per day.

Ok...now the math is almost over...I swear. So...I need to shave off 625 calories per day...and I plan to do that with a mix of cutting calories and exercise. I know that just doing one or the other...just won't work with me.

So...here is the plan...dum, dum, dum....when I workout on the elliptical...I usually burn at least 600 calories. I am going to make a goal of eating 1500 calories per day...which is about 500 calories under my daily caloric intake. And I am also going to work out at least 4 times a week.

If I add all those numbers up...calories saved would be 3500 and calories burned would be 2100. If I add that all together...it would be a total of 5600 calories or 1.6 pounds.

*phew* Math is over...for now.

My self homework....I need to research how many calories I might burn with the weight training that I do. I estimated that weight training might be 300 calories for this little math problem...but I know that estimating just makes problems for everyone.