Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Anti-Challenge Homework

So, I am doing this Anti-Challenge over at Fat Fighters. It's cool...you should check it out. All the cool kids are doing it.

This week...we are looking at our Basic Metabolic Rate. Instead of just listing my stats over there...I thought I would list them over here too.

Here is where you can test what your BMR is.

My BMR is: 1666.2 calories per day. So that is what my body burns just sitting there...being a bump on a log.

Then Renee says to multiply your BMR by your activity level. You are either Sedentary, Lightly Active, Moderately Active, Very Active, and Extra Active.

I think I am somewhere between Sedentary and Lightly Active. I workout 4-6 times a week...and sometimes my job is sitting behind a desk and sometimes my job is running around everywhere.

So...if I calculate my daily caloric needs...it would somewhere between 1999 and 2291 per day.

2300 calories a day...holy bejesus??

Anyways...so what do all these number mean to me. Well, they mean that if I want to continue losing weight, I need to cut about 500 calories out of my diet a day...and then continue to add exercise into my diet. If I do that...losing one to two pounds a week should be a sure thing.

What I like about this...it makes it all a math problem, instead of trying something and hoping for the best.

So, if I assume that I am more sedentary than lightly active. My body needs 1999 calories a day. If I eat about 1350 (my usual range)...I am putting 649 calories in the weight loss bank everyday. If I workout on top of that...and burn let's say 350 calories...which is usually an underestimate...then I woudl have 999 calories in the bank everyday. Over a week...that would be 6993 calories burned. In terms of math...that's 2 lbs.

Ahh...the math geek is alive and well.

P.S. I am on Day 9 of my 30 Days of No Fast Food/Take Out Challenge...and kickin' it like a rock star! Go me!