Friday, August 25, 2006

'tis the morning after....

I don't get politically nearly as often as I used to...and to me, that is kind of sad. As the election campaigns are revving up and issues are coming to the surface, I feel this need to return to that person that I was...that cared deeply about issues and actually did something about it. I have gotten lazy as far as my sense of advocacy...and that needs to change.

This morning...I woke up and watched the local news for about an hour before heading to work...and I was pleasantly surprised by one of the news story I heard.

They reported that Plan B, the morning after pill, has been approved for behind the counter sale without a prescription for women over the age of 18.

I feel this decision was much needed...and long overdue, but I also understand why it was controversial. I think that the availability of the morning after pill is necesary in terms of women's health.

I know that some of the opponents have concerns...one because they feel it will increase the level of promiscuity of women because of the availability of the pill. And secondly, there is concern because the pill not only stops eggs from being released and fertilized, but it also stops a fertilized egg from attaching to the wall of the uterus. So...some pro-life folks believe that it is a end of life issue.

One, the studies in Europe...where the morning after pill is available...did not increase the levels of promiscuity. And secondly, it decreased the amount of unplanned pregnancies and abortions.

I think this is a great thing...that women will no longer not have access to this medication because they are unable to get to their doctor in time (evenings and weekends) or because of a lack of healthcare. If someone does not have insurance and therefore does not have a primary care doctor...it becomes that much more difficult to get the pill if a doctor's prescription is required.

I am...obviously...pro-choice. But, I would love a world where abortions were no longer necessary. I think having access to this medication is bringing us much closer to that.

*cheers*