Thursday, August 17, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #54


Thirteen Jobs Shelley Has Had


I am going to list all of the jobs I have had...in order
1. Babysitting: It was my first job ever. I started babysitting for friends of my parents and then moved on to having my own people. I will say...I was a fabulous babysitter. I had people who still requested me when I came home from college breaks, etc...in the end I had to start telling people I was "retired." I used to be so proud of my babysitting skills. One thing I did...and I learned this from my babysitter growing up (who was wonderful)....I would bring white paper and would have the kids make a picture book of all the fun things we did while their parents were gone. Then after the kids went to bed, I would put the book together and leave it for their parents on the kitchen table...so they could see what their kids did while they were away.
2. Thom McAn Shoes: This was my first "real" job. I loved it. I loved shoes. I loved the people I worked for. It was really excited and it was when I realized that, in essence, I was a pretty good worker. If I didn't go to college, they were going to make me third key/manager in training. The store closed two years later, I am glad I went to college. hee, hee.
3. Wal-Mart: I hated this job. It's one of many reasons I call Wal-Mart...Devil-Mart. The company treats its employees like dirt. The customers treat the employees like dirt. All in all..not a great job, but it was a job for the summer after my freshman year in college.
4. Academic Advising Office: My job for 4 years in college. I loved this job...it was mostly clerical, office work. I did a lot of copying and answering the phone. However, I also got to help some with the advising process. It taught me a lot about work in the real world.
5. Computer Lab Tech: Also a job in college...I sat at a desk and helped people with computer problems when they needed it. You know...hey, my computer won't print. Help! It was fun and I learned a lot about computer troubleshooting.
6. College Telemarketer: This job was fun, at first. It was basically calling prospective students and telling them about the college. I used to do it as a volunteer, but once I got paid to do it...it became less fun. Then...it was about numbers and getting people interested in the school...no matter what.
7. Bath and Body Works: I HATED this job. I thought I would love it because I love their products, but the staff sucked..which made the job suck.
8. Sears- Bed and Bath Dept: This job was okay, but not great. I worked it for the summer after college. I graduated from college and wanted a job that reflected that, so working at Sears wasn't really what I envisioned.
9. Hannaford Photo Lab: When I moved home...I worked there for a year before going to grad school. I loved this job. I worked within walking distance to home...and I liked having a job that was simple, but also technical. I got to make people's film...mix chemicals, etc. Plus, I loved the people who worked there. If I didn't go to grad school...they were offering to train me to take over another store. I went to grad school...and 4 years later Hannaford started closing all of their photo labs. I am glad I went to grad school.
10. Homeless Street Outreach: Loved this job...hardest job I have ever done, but loved it. It was an Americorps position while I was in grad school. We hit the streets and worked with chronically homeless people. It didn't matter how much money I wasn't getting...I loved doing this job. I really felt like my time made a difference.
11. College Counselor: This was my second job while in grad school...and I liked it as much. It's the job I have been the most nervous while doing. I think that for me...I knew that if I didn't do this well...that people's lives were on the line. I liked it, but it taught me that I didn't want to be in counseling as a career.
12. Homeless Shelter Family Center Director: My first social worker job! I started in the main center, but then was promoted to the family center director. I liked the job...when I was allowed to do it. I loved helping families meet their needs...providing with diapers, help with housing, food...parenting education. Unfortunately...it became more political than hands on and so I didn't stay. Plus, I wanted to move back to NY...so, I did.
13. Drug and Alcohol Assessment Coordinator: And my job now. I found this job by chance. If you asked me when I was in grad school if I ever thought I would be working in the criminal justice system...I would have said no, hands down. But, I love my job. I love working with clients. I love working with the judges. And my co-workers are great, great people.

There ya go...those are 13 jobs in Shelley's life.

What has been your favorite job????



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!