Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Real World Finale...

Ok, I admit it...I am a reality tv whore. I can't help myself. I watched Hell's Kitchen...whoo hoo for Heather who won. I watch Project Runway. I watch Wife Swap. I watch So You Think You Can Dance. I watched American Idol. Yep...I am reality tv's bitch.

And what was the first of all reality tv shows that lured me in...with it's drama queen emotions...yep, it is MTV's Real World. I can't believe they are on season 17...yes, SEVENTEEN! And sadly, I have seen all 17. I think the show is trash...I think that it is no longer about seeing real people live in interesting situations. I think much of the show is staged and the cast looking for drama...instead of casting in a way that hopes to get interesting perspectives on the show. When I think about the first 5 seasons...I think that MTV showed something real...something worthwhile. I remember crying when I heard Pedro died. I donated a significant chunk of change for the teenager that I was to an AIDS foundation when I heard. That show taught me something about people living with AIDS. Now...it is about sex and orgies and manipulated fights. The real world...is hands down...the most unreal reality show on tv.

Having said that...I cried at the end of the season finale of Real World last night. One of the castmates...Paula...was a train wreck on the show. She showed up suffering significantly from an eating disorder...she was in an abusive relationship (her abuser sent her to the hospital, etc), she had no control of her drinking and had an intense amount of rage. I initially was very angry that MTV put her on the show. I felt that she was someone who MTV should have reached out and given help to...instead of using her as a pawn to insure that there was drama on the show. Fortunately for Paula...she chose to seek help while on the show. She entered therapy...she stopped drinking to excess...she starting working on her food issues and the issues she has surrounding her abusive past. I am still somewhat angered that MTV did not push Paula to get help...and allowed her to continue destroying herself on the show for the first half of the season, when I believe they should have intervened.

But well...MTV is not about helping people...they are about creating a drama filled event...and Paula provided that. What made me cry is Paula and the growth and change that she went through on the show. She was the last one left at the house and she made this statement...which is what caused the tears to flow. She said, "I fell in love with seven people in this experience, 6 strangers and myself." Oh my...that just hit me like a truck. Paula talked about how her roommates and this experiences saved her life...and that she sees hope now. Paula has a long road ahead of her, but she sees the path now. I wish the best for her...and am reminded that every once in a while...MTV can still teach me something.

Yes, that is right...The Real World made me cry. Let the mocking begin.