Saturday, October 09, 2004

Kerry does say things Shelley doesn't like...

Ok, I am not able to keep it short. It's never been one of my skills.

I wanted to respond to something Kerry said that bothered me last night. I knew what he meant, but I hated the way he said it.

"I'm pledging I will not raise taxes; I'm giving a tax cut to the people earning less than $200,000 a year.

Now, for the people earning more than $200,000 a year, you're going to see a rollback to the level we were at with Bill Clinton, when people made a lot of money.

And looking around here, at this group here, I suspect there are only three people here who are going to be affected: the president, me, and, Charlie, I'm sorry, you too."


I didn't like it...at all. I didn't like the way it sounded. I knew what he meant, but hated how he said it. What he said...sounded a lot like, I can tell how much money you all make, by looking at you. It sounded really judgemental...even though it isn't what he meant. What Kerry meant was...that Bush keeps talking about the small business owners who will be effected by Kerry's tax plan for the upper level, etc...and Kerry was trying to say that his plan is not going to negatively effect most of the American people. He is saying that those in america who make over $200,000 a year...is not the majority or American people. But...what he ended up saying...is that by looking around the group of people, he can tell that they can't come close to making the type of money that he does. Anyhoo....it annoyed me. I think he should have rethought that argument...and went at what he was trying to say from another angle.

And...since I am critiquing...here is ONE thing that I didn't like that Bush had to say. Trust me, there is more, but I am highlighting just one:

I don't have an exact quote because he said it a few different times, but I really hate Bush's policies about social service and helping those people in this country. Let's look at his policies concerning health care. He says over and over again...that he can't see how Kerry is going to pay for it. While at the same time, he says he has no problem paying WHATEVER this war will cost because it is necessary. So, the war in Iraq is necessary, but the health and safety of all of our people is NOT necessary.

And I will keep on the health care argument for a little bit. Kerry wants a plan where all those who need or want health care will be able to get it. Bush does not. Bush wants to make sure that medicare is more accessible for seniors and that their prescription drugs are more cost effective. Bush wants to make it so small businesses can come together and get lower cost health care for their employees. Bush seems concerned about health care for the DESERVING...not for everyone. I have no health insurance right now...and have not had health care for a few years. Bush and his plan doesn't really seem concerned about that. Bush doesn't really seem concerned about the low income and impoverished Americans...who have no hope for health care. Bush's plan doesn't seem to care about the cost of prescriptions for those who are not senior citizens.

I am sick of hearing...how are we going to pay for this when it comes to something that will benefit the lives of the poor and oppressed or that will bring our nation closer to the great place it can be...while at the same time...millions and millions can be spent on a war. It pisses me off....that Bush seems to have such a disdain for domestic issues that are at the heart and core of my life and work.

Because of the war in Iraq, Bush will not get my vote...but more importantly, because of Bush's domestic policy and how it only hopes to help those he considers deserving of his help...is why he would NEVER, EVER get my vote...he doesn't deserve it.

Had to get that off my chest....I should stop saying I will keep things short and that I won't spout off my political beliefs...because that is just a campaign promise I can't keep.