Thursday, October 07, 2004

Theatre Thursday Week 20

Oops...I didn't do Theatre Thursday last week, but since I tend to not be a fan of anything Disney...tis okay. Here is this week's Theatre Thursday though.

Week 20 - Football Films.

Friday Night Lights opens this weekend in theaters. So this week it's all about Football.
Billy Bob Thorton. One word...eww!

1) What's your favorite football movie?
I have said before and I will say again....I am not a fan of football, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good football movie. Well, I have to love the 80s football movies. I can't pick just one...so here are a few of my favs. All The Right Moves with a very young Tom Cruise is an obvious one. He's adorable and has a great backdrop about a small working class family. It's a movie I always watch when it is on cable. And we can't forget Wildcats starring Goldie Hawn. It's spunky and I like that....and also classic 80s. Finally, it's one of my fav 80s flicks and it also surrounds football...it's a little film called Lucas. Corey Haim was so young...and was still during the time when he was naively cute. I guess overall...I like the football films which are more about a challenge and overcoming adversity. That is much more attractive to me than the actual football scenes.

2) Do you think films accurately portray football players?
Nope, I think they are all mostly stereotypes. But then again, the point of films is rarely to be accurate...instead it is to move you with a compelling story. And sometimes...yep, that story takes place on a football field.

3) What football movie was so bad, so far fetched, so poorly acted, or so over dramatized that it was painful to watch?
Two words....Varsity Blues. It was awful...I don't want to even admit that I saw it. Ick.

BONUS) If you were making a football film, what actor would you want to portray your star quarterback? The coach?
Hmm...the star quarterback...maybe Josh Jackson. He's cute as a button...and hasn't done a sporty movie since his Mighty Ducks days. And the coach...it's gotta be someone tough, with a soft tender interior...just begging to get out. I would go with Kurt Russell. He was in The Best of Times, but that time he was the star quarterback...this time, he gets to be the coach!