Wednesday, October 06, 2004

my veep comments...

It's gonna be long, so prepare yourself. And it is probably going to be partisan too. Consider yourself warned!

So, the VP debate was last night...and of course, I have some comments. I didn't think either candidate really WON the debate. I was hoping Edwards was going to bait Cheney into telling him to "go fuck himself" but I was denied on seeing that. I thought both candidates did well, but neither had the knock out punch that I was looking for. MSNBC does have a poll up, which says that Edwards won the debate, but well...I don't think Edwards ran away with it. Keith Olbermann who has his own snazzy show on MSNBC wrote a pretty comical commentary on the debate, which he also put Edwards ahead on...but read it, just for the laughs.

Here is a transcript of the debate, just in case you didn't get a chance to see it.

Gwen Ifill: The most entertaining moderator. I like this woman. She took her job seriously, but not too seriously. I loved her side comments and how she was able to make light at how assinine this whole process is at times. But..she kept not knowing whose turn it was to lead a question or who got to respond. I don't know if she just got caught up in what was going on, but it was kind of off putting. She made me laugh though...and that made me like her!

Edwards coming out strong on Iraq. I was impressed with how quickly Edwards came out and called the current administration on not being completely honest or sugar coating the case in Iraq. I thought it was a good call. Cheney took it like a man and responded with the canned campaign response, but it was a nice sting for Edwards...showing the nice, southern lawyer means bizness!

Cheney's response about Iraq. Let's talk about this a little more, since it just pisses me off. Cheney (and Bush for that matter) are now making the case that we invaded Iraq because Saddam was sponsoring terror with financial support, because it was important to establish democracies in order to fight terror, etc. You know what...that is not the case that the Bush administration made to the Congress and to the American people. It isn't what they said...all I heard was about the link between Iraq and Al Qaeda...and about the definite presence of weapons of mass destruction. It seems to me like Bush and Cheney are trying to rewrite history here.

The whole global test garbage. I don't get why Bush and Co. are harping over the "global test" quote as if Kerry said something horrific. Kerry didn't say he was going to allow the global community to make decision for him...and they know that. He didn't say that all global communities were going to get a vote in how we do policy..and deep down, they know it. What he said...and what he meant...was that we need to make policies in which the American people and the world can trust. Kerry is right that we need a more unified, global presence in Iraq. That is how America can lead in these global issues...instead of being a bullly...going exactly what we want...and chastizing anyone who DARES to question us.

Cheney: Will the US be hit again with Kerry as Pres? Ifill asked this question...and Cheney responded by dancing around it and said that he only meant that he feels Kerry doesn't have the skills to be Commander in Chief in the time of terrorism. *coughs* bullshit *coughs* He knows what he said...and he knows why he said it. He was saying that if Kerry is elected...we will get hit with another attack. It was a scare tactic. I do wish that Edwards had called him on it. I wish he had called him on campaign behavior that is just completely innapropriate.

Edwards is demeaning Iraqi sacrifice??? Oh no you didn't? Cheney just didn't say that Edwards was demeaning all those Iraqis who gave their life in Iraq?? Once again...he knows that is bullshit. What Edwards was saying...is clearing up his statistic. We were talking about how strong the coalition is...and how even though there are 30 countries...the US is paying the price. Out of the coalition forces...the US is paying 90% of the price...and facing 90% of the casualities. What kind of coalition is that? That is what Edwards is saying...and to assume and state otherwise, is just another dirty trick.

Oh, Halliburton! Cheney had to know this was coming. Halliburton's record is atrocious...and the American people deserve to know that. And..can someone explain to me...how it is even remotely appropriate to give ANYONE a no bid contract for reconstruction in Iraq, let alone the company for which the VP used to run. Halliburton who did work with Libya and Iran. Halliburton who fought for the relief of sanctions with Iran...just for the almight buck. It would be like if Kerry won the Pres...and then someone made it so that Heinz was the only kind of ketchup that people could use, etc. I just don't get it...it seems shady and it awes me that it hasn't had to be explained....officially. Ugh.

The economy...or are we talking about education? Cheney was asked about lost jobs...and he talked about education. And then he said that Kerry and Edwards were against "No Child Left Behind." Umm, no they are not. They are against an act...that requires more from schools, but doesn't fund it effectively so that those things can actually happen. It's a hallow act right now...which without the funding just hurts those disadvantaged children even more. Kerry and Edwards want a bill that is fully funded and really helps all our children. But you can't blame Cheney from switching from jobs to education..since why would he want to talk about that given what the state of the economy is in right now???

I feel for Cheney, no really..I do I really feel for Cheney when the topic goes to gay marriage and the President's wish for a Constitutional Amendment. I commend him for his honesty and his candor when talking about the issue. "Freedom means freedom for everyone." Great quote man...it's unfortunate that your boss doesn't agree.

Both botched the AIDS question Ifill asks about the domestic issue of HIV and AIDS...and says specifically that she isn't asking about the global issue, but both candidates jump to talking about Africa. Ugh.

Best flip flopping response EVER! I have been waiting for Kerry and Edwards to actually say something meaningful about this whole "flip flopping" attack. They have said quite clearly that they were consistent...but it doesn't seem to matter. I think the RNC has found that the flip flopper sound byte works, so they are still going to use it...and abuse it. What I LOVED...is Edwards response...pushing it right back at Bush and Cheney and showing their flip flops. The 9/11 Commission flip flop. The Department of Homeland Security flip flop. The "the war on terror cannot be won" flip flop, etc... I loved it! If the RNC is going to harp on flip flopping...you might want to make sure that Bush and Cheney have not flip flopped themselves. Bush and Cheney have said over and over again...that Kerry and Edwards buckle under political pressure...but look at the 9/11 commission...they pounced on how it was not a good idea (I don't know why...) and under political pressure...they changed their mind and then took credit for the commission. I loved the response Edwards...IT'S ABOUT TIME!

A uniter...not a divider! Really? I think not. I am not sure either side can bring together this divided nation and that is a shame, but under Bush's leadership, I only see it getting worse.

I thought the debate was good...but that both sides could have done much better. I don't believe Dick Cheney...he hasn't shown me any reason to at this point. I think the night went well for Edwards, but I expected more from his seasoned lawyer skills.

I am looking forward to Friday when Bush and Kerry go for Round two.

P.S. Cheney has met Edwards before last night...so, that lie is now debunked. It's too bad Edwards couldn't have called him on it last night.