Monday, October 11, 2004

He truly is a super man....



Christopher Reeve died last night at the age of 52 from a heart attack. My heart sank when I read it this morning when I logged on the net. It saddens me.....on many levels. Chris, as everyone knows, was paralyzed in 1995 after a horse back riding accident. Since then, he has fought with everything in him to bring more attention to stem cell research, in hope of helping people like himself.

I am saddened because Chris died...and he is someone I watched growing up, as a larger than life superhero. I am saddened because Chris was strickened with such a burden after his accident, but he chose to continue the fight instead of just wallowing in himself. I am saddened most of all though...because of the loss of hope that I feel. When we saw Chris talking about research and about the future, we hung onto the hope that science would find him in time...and that he might just walk again, or be able to speak without the help of a machine. Chris talked with such hope...about the day he would walk. He talked about it with such certainty...it wasn't an if, but a when. He believed that science could heal, if only it was given the chance.

I will admit, I am also angry. I am angry that we live in a world where political and PC garbage makes it so that the research that was needed to save the lives of people like Christopher Reeve, was not able to happen. I am angry that science is being halted and that many more like Reeve will die, when there is science that could make a difference. I am angry that it wasn't something people talked about in the global sense, until Christopher was afflicted.

I don't think Christopher Reeve, his illness, nor his death should be used as a political pawn, but I do hope that his passing highlights the issue...and brings about what the limitations are without full and complete stem cell research.

I am deeply saddened that Christopher lost his life...and that his family lost someone very special. I am also deeply saddened that the battle lost a warrior. Chris didn't have to become a warrior, but he chose to. He truly became a superhero in my eyes after 1995, when he took on a battle with all that he had, not just for himself, but for all those who shared his plight.

Rest in Peace...and let's hope the battle continues without you....in homage of you.