Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day and all that jazz!!!

Happy Valentine's Day Folks!!!

I've often had a conflicted relationship with Valentine's Day. I wanna think it's a great wonderful holiday chuck full of love....and appreciate those in your life who you are lucky enough to love...however, on most years...I felt this way:

valentines day Pictures, Images and Photos

Just like Christmas and Easter...and heck, most holidays around are so commercialized. Valentine's Day seems to be all about buying the candy, the chocolates, the jewelry, the flowers, etc.

Of course...it is only that way if we let it. It is just as easy to send someone a love filled email or make a hand made Valentine's Day card.

And...for someone who is chronically single, sometimes I think Valentine's Day is just mean. I know it is meant to be able celebrating love, but sometimes it also seems to point out those who aren't in relationships, etc. Valentine's Day is fantastic...unless you happen to be without a Valentine.

But, it's only that way...if you let it be. I know...that my single status, let's face it...is a conscience choice. There were times in my life that I was single and really wanted to be in a relationship. In those years, I think V Day stung a little bit more...it seemed like it was rubbing its nose in my lack of relationship.

These days...I am so cool with being single and on my own. So...Valentine's Day really doesn't hold that same sting. Instead, I see it as a day to truly cherish the love that is in your life.

Valentines Day Pictures, Images and Photos

Loves in my life...

1) My family. I swear, I am so blessed. I was raised by the best parents in the world. They met when they were teenagers...and they were always each other's love. That kind of example...I learned pretty early on, that most people don't get. And my brother...is pretty kick arse too. We used to fight like cats and dogs, but now I think he's one of the coolest people on the planet...and let's not forget that adorable nephew of mine. I never get to see him as much as I want to...but when I do, I can never get enough of him and his adorableness.

2) My friends. That's huge. I've been blessed with some great friends in my life. It started from that first best friend in grade school...you know....when your best friend was the friend who lived closest to you. And then in high school...find some awesome and like minded friends. I had no idea who I was back then and still had a group of people who liked me anyways. And those college friends...I thank god for those college friends. I think I was able to find myself in college...and made some friends for life. I haven't kept in touch with all of them as well as I would have liked... but I know they helped shape me as a person. And let's not forget my grad school friends...and friends around here since I've come back home. I've always had a small, but really fantastic group of friends. I'm grateful for all the friends I've had in my life...friends in the past, friends in the present...and friends I have yet to meet in the future.

3) Social work. I truly love my career. It gives me something so much more than a paycheck. I know that if my job was just punching in and punching out...I'd be miserable. Don't get me wrong...sometimes my job makes me wanna pull my hair out, but all in all...I find something in my day in and day out that energizes me and gets me ready to come back the next day. I feel so blessed I found social work...or more likely, social work found me.

4) Movies & Music. I like creative things...always have. I really enjoy someone taking a creative outlet and telling a great story. I've always been a movie buff...love sitting down and getting lost in whatever story they are telling. And, music too...love that music can get to the emotions of things in a way that nothing else can. I have a desire...to actually get out the guitar I have and learn how to use it.

5) Baseball & The Red Sox. Does this love shock anyone? I adoringly love baseball. I spend most of my spring and summer watching games...as many in person as possible. I've also met and reconnected with a bunch of friend through my love of baseball. I have no skills to actually play the game...and I might be afraid of the ball, but I love watching it being played. As spring training is right around the corner...I'm about to get my love of baseball back in my life.

6) My health and fitness. For so many years, I had this as a desire...something I longed for, but not something I could ever obtain. I feel so grateful that it finally clicked...and I finally figured it out...you know...kind of. It's something that is crucial in my life now and not just something I hope for. It is truly a love and something I am not willing to give up...ever!

7) My church. I adore my church and the people there. I used to go to church with my mom because it was important to her and because the people were nice there, but in the last few years it really has become something that fulfills something in me. I've become more connected and more involved...and it isn't just going for an obligation. I feel encouraged and refreshed after going to the service every Sunday...and feel ready for the week to come.

I think that's enough love for one day...especially on this Valentine's Day. I hope that people appreciate the love that is in their lives this year...the big ones and the silly little ones.