Friday, January 29, 2010

Low Calorie Foods that Trick Your Brain!

I've been doing my very best to live healthy...and for the most part, doing a pretty good job at it. I've stopping grazing on whatever food is in the house at night and went back to eating food I like that is also good for me.

I've been going more often than not to my cardio classes in the morning. I never thought I'd get used to working out at 5:15 in the morning, but it's amazing how your body adjusts. (Of course I say this while I skipped class this morning...it was way too cold, so I convinced myself to workout when I get outta work this afternoon).

My overall goal is to lose the 10-15 lbs I gained over the fall and winter...and am giving myself plenty of time to do it. I'd like to lose that chunk of change by Opening Day (baseball of course)...which is April 4th. Right now, it's January 29th...so, that means basically 9 weeks to lose 10-15 lbs. Definitely realistic and doable. And I'll be honest, if I never lose another pound again...I'd still be happy.

I was reading an article today during my lunch break and it talked about low calorie foods that satisfy your brain. I was pretty happy with myself that I eat a lot of these foods on a regular basis.

1. Eggs. I don't eat these often. I've never been much of an egg person and if I do eat eggs, I buy cage free, free range eggs...which cost an actual arm and leg per egg. I do eat the egg beaters from time to time...and they are pretty tasty. I probably wouldn't hurt me to eat more eggs...as long as I can afford them in my budget.

2. Protein. People always ask me if I eat enough protein since I am a vegetarian. I eat enough protein and then some. I drink a lot of whey protein shakes. I also eat cottage cheese which has protein and eat lots of beans, which are rich in protein. I figure...I am gonna make sure I don't make that mistake of eating only carbs just because I am a vegetarian and don't eat meat.

3. Broth Based Soup. Yep. Only kind I eat. I always have to check and check twice that the broth is veggie broth, not chicken or beef. I love a good minestrone or spicy soup. It's the great part of a dinner on a cold winter's night.

4. Complex Carbs. Fruits and veggies are my friends. I would eat myself our of house and home of them if I could. I always said if you offered me a bowl of chocolate or a bowl of fresh fruit...I'd take the fruit anydays.

5. Popcorn. One of my favorite snacks. At night, I often pop one of those mini bags of 94% fat free popcorn bags...and just munch away while I am watching tv or playing on the computer. You can eat so much popcorn..and it's just 100 calories. Me likey.

6. Beans. I love beans...I am constantly cooking with beans. I can make killer chilis and stews. Complete staple of my diet. If you told me I could never eat beans again...I might try to hurt you. Black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, red beans...I could go on and on.

7. Salad. Me. Love. I eat at least one big garden salad a day...if not two. The crunchier and fresher, the better. I usually just put a little low fat or fat free italian dressing on it and I am good to go. It's my lunch every single day...ask any of my co-workers.

Now chocolate, ice cream and pizza did not make the list. That is highly disappointing...if only...if only.

Happy Friday ALL!