Monday, November 09, 2009

Crack of Dawn at the YMCA

Yeppers. I actually did it. I set my alarm this morning for 5 am...was up and at the gym by 5:30am-ish. I worked out for about 45 minutes and then headed home for a quick shower, quick breakfast and on to work for the day.

When I set my alarm last night...as it was 11pm and the idea of getting up at 5am was not leaving me all warm and fuzzy inside. I seriously thought I would change my mind, hit the snooze and get up at my usual time. I considered it...oh, I seriously considered it, but in the end...I decided to follow through with my plan.

I don't really enjoy working out in the wee hours of the morning. Not because it is hard to get out of bed (and there is that), but because I always feel like the workout is harder on my body in the morning. It's like my body does not like to move with purpose before 9am...at the earliest. When I am on the elliptical at 5:45am...every movement seems hard. I notice every minute I am on that thing...and wonder when the time will be up. When I workout in the later in the day....time often flies by without me knowing and suddenly...workout done.

So, if working out at the crack of dawn is such a drain on poor lil' Shelley...why am I doing it? Well...because lately, I have not been able to get myself to go to the gym after work. Last year, I was a rock star at it...I would leave work, change into my workout clothes and head right over to the gym. I'd rock the elliptical and then head home for a nice, healthy dinner. It was easy.

But lately...not so much. I've been getting my workout clothes together. Putting them in my car. Bringing them to work. Working all day long. Then, I leave work...and with one excuse of another, drive home. Bring workout clothes back inside. Don't workout. Eat ice cream or something along those lines. The excuses were either..."I'm exhausted" or "I'm starving" or "I got out of work late." All complete malarkey. I just didn't want to go...so, I didn't. Instead, I hit Stewart's on the way home and bought some chips...you know, something I actually wanted to do.

This is insanity for me...since I actually *really* like working out. But alas...I haven't been able to convince my body of that lately.

So...mornings it is. I watch the early morning local news anyways. I might as well watch it while running away on the elliptical...verses watching it while snuggled in my warm cozy bed.

Wednesday...the YMCA and I meet again.