Friday, January 01, 2010

Goodbye 2009, Hello 2010!!!

In many ways, I can't believe it's 2010. It seems kind of surreal, but it's here...2009 was kicked to the curb.

Last year I said the same thing I am about to say this year...that I don't make new year's resolutions, but that I am going to be committed to things in the next year. (Yes, I realize they are the same thing...I am just calling it something different, but well...sometimes the words you use matter). Last year I said I wanted to be more organized. And yeah, my mass cleaning in the last few days...showed that I haven't been uber successful at that.

So, my commitments or goals for 2010.

1. I want to write in my blog more. I went for months without writing last year. I think I got busy and honestly, bored with it. I spent more time on Facebook and Twitter...and watching lots and lots of baseball. I still plan on doing those things...but also planning on writing here more. I figured I am either going to write or quit the blog...but I'm not ready to quit yet, so I had better get to writing.

2. I am giving up Wal-Mart. I've never been a fan of the company, what they do to the local community and small businesses...and in particular, how they treat their employees. For years, I didn't go there or didn't go there often. However, I started going back for the nice, sweet deals...and have been going at least once weekly for the past few years. At the same time, I've continued to really be anti Wal-Mart's policies....so, I am kicked Wal-Mart to the curb. Sometimes, it'll be fine and sometimes...I know it's gonna be hard. I'll know that I am paying more other places for something that I could get cheaper at Wal-Mart, but...I think it's worth. So Wal-Mart....see ya...don't let the door hit you on the way out.

3. Being organized and less messy. Yeah, I've spent the last 2 days cleaning...getting part of the house in order. There is still more to do. I am just someone who seems to natural be messy and like to clutter. But, I am going to commit to getting myself organized and neat. I've already done a bit of it...and there is more cleaning ahead of me for the weekend...and then the hard part, keeping it that way. I have a lot of stuff...and need to go through it and either keep it and have a place for it...or get rid of it. Here is to a neater, more organized Shelley in 2010.

4. I always like to have a fitness related goal. For the past few months, I've been hitting the gym at least 3-4 times per week. I've been going in the mornings before work and even though there are days I really don't want to get out of bed, it really is working for me. I want to continue doing that. I've got a great workout buddy and that makes it so much easier. Ideally, I'd like to bump it up to being at the gym 6 times per week...going some evenings after work to do the weight circuit system they have.

5. I'd like to cook more than I do. I often come home...and either make a can of soup for dinner or throw a veggie burger in the oven...or make a frozen meal. It's really just for convenience, but I'd like to spend more time making meals from scratch. I am really quite a good cook, but I don't do it very often. I'm gonna get out some of my vegetarian cookbooks and maybe purchase a few more...and just spend more time experimenting in the kitchen.

So those are my commitments for 2010...how about you????