Sunday, March 30, 2008

WHOO HOO!!!!!!!

Hi all! I've been blathering on and on for the last couple of months about how I have been running/jogging in preparation of running our local Shamrock Shuffle. I've never been a runner...no matter how fit I have been. I came home from Florida in January...and thought, "Hey, I wonder if I could get myself in shape to run/jog the Shamrock Shuffle?" It was a fleeting thought...seriously. I didn't think it could happen. I didn't think I could start training in the cold winter. I didn't have access to a treadmill. And plus, I was a horrible, sucky runner.

So, I thought...I can rock the elliptical for 45 minutes to an hour...I'll give it a shot. I went out for my first run in January...and sucked. I couldn't run for a 1/4 of a mile without having to stop and walk. I basically felt the shuffle was out of touch for this year, but I kept trucking along. I added some running time each time out...and in a few weeks, I headed from my house to my dad's. I jogged the whole way...it was about 2.5 miles. I was shocked...for the first time, I had hope.

Over the next 5 weeks...I added more and more mileage until I was running 5 miles without stopping. Now, when I say running...I mean jogging. I was running between 13-15 minute miles. I didn't care though...I was running.

Well...today was the shuffle. I went to church this morning (I needed the big guy on my side). I headed over to register at 10am...and the race started at 11am. My dad came with me...and my roomie came too to support me. I am so grateful for them coming to support me...it was very nice and I felt very loved.

Photobucket

My goal was...to run/jog the whole time...and to finish the race. And that is just what I did. The race was 5 miles...and my final time was 1:01:43. I was one of the last people to finish...about 6 people came in behind me. But, I don't care...I ran about a 12 minute mile...and I jogged the whole time...no walking...and I finished. I couldn't be happier. I didn't sign up to win...I signed up to run it and accomplish it.

I've said before...I don't know why this race was so important to me. I felt the need to run it...almost as if it is the physical representation of all the work I have done in the last 6 months.

I still say...if I can do this, anyone can! Hugs to all who were cheering me afar.

Labels: , , , , , ,