Friday, February 15, 2008

surprise email...

Hey everybody. It's Friday and I have the day off from work. I spent the day relaxing and really rocked a workout. I love my job, but I also loved having the day to myself...where I could plan by day around what I wanted to do instead of around work.

So, the thread title is a surprising email. Last Friday, I came home from work and logged on to the computer to check my email and what do I see inside my inbox, an email from Katy Johnson. My first thought was, "Oh crap!"

Oh, I should update people who are wondering who Katy might be...and why I might respond that way. I wrote a post back in September about Katy Johnson AKA Miss Vermont and my thoughts about her and interactions with her in college. It would be an understatement to say it wasn't the most positive blog in the world.

First, I was surprised she read the blog at all. It's not like my blog is incredibly popular or well read. The same 4 or 5 people read here (Hey y'all!!) and that's about it. Who would have thought the blog entry would end in her hands...I sure didn't.

Well, a quick overview of the email...it was really nice. She was nicer and more humble than I would be in the situation. I said some really horrible things about Katy. Let's be honest...I am not perfect either and if I had come across someone else's blog who wrote something about me that was not very flattering(whether it was true or not)..if I emailed them, it would probably be a pretty nasty email. So, I give her class and grace for that. She talked about when we went to school and gave me a little update on the girl she worked with on the MTV Made show.

I still have issues with some of the hypocritical things surrounding Katy's pageant platform and how she seemingly was choosing to live her life. It's one of my biggest pet peeves is when people say you should be doing one thing...but themselves are doing another. So, I don't take back what I said...just maybe how I chose to say it.

The thing I am most sorry about...in retrospect, is that I forgot that Katy was a human being when I wrote that entry. I re-read it last week after I got the email from Katy. I could tell how happy I was with myself...for telling a funny story of how I knew someone in college. Honestly, it's a funny, entertaining story, but it's also mean and callous. I forgot while writing it...that Katy, even if she was a walking hypocrite...is also a walking human being.

So, I don't see Katy as an angel....but I am humbled by how she chose to handle the situation. She handled it with more maturity than I would have...and for that, it says something.

Labels: