Monday, January 22, 2007

Cravings....

I was looking at some blogs this morning and I ended up responding to TC who asked if anyone had ever tried being a vegetarian, etc...cause she is considering it.

What was interesting...is that I ended up writing something I wasn't even really aware of until I wrote it. I have been a vegetarian since sometime in 2001...and not a touch of meat has touched my lips since that date. I started being a veggie girl sometime in 2000, but didn't get all hardcore about it until 2001...and there were some slips up when I had some chicken strips or a burger, etc. So, I count my years of being a vegetarian since 2001...since that is when I truly committed.

What I realized is that...I sometimes will crave meat...if I see an advertisement for some new special, etc. If I remember how much I liked the chicken strips at Applebees...or if someone brings in a great beef chili for one of our pot lucks. The smell of something I like will give me a craving...it will make my tummy rumble. But, no matter what...eating meat is not an option for me. Those chicken strips must be great...they smell fabulous, but in no way can I even consider eating one.

What is interesting...is that I have a pizza craving...and a sweet tooth. On my 30 Day challenges...especially for the candy one, I often fail. About Day 20 (sometimes earlier)...I will end up breaking down and buying some chocolate or getting some jelly beans, etc. I have rarely been able to make it 30 Days when it comes to chocolate and pizza...but I haven't eaten meat for 6 years.

But then I thought some more...I almost always give up pizza and candy for lent...and I am usually very successful at it. So, I came up with a pretty good conclusion. I can give up things...and have incredible resolve...when there is a reason why I am giving up something. I don't eat meat because I can't support it...believe it to be wrong, no matter how yummy it might taste. I don't eat pizza and candy during lent...because it is a period of sacrifice before Easter, etc. I'm not catholic, but I like stealing their idea.

It's really an eye opening realization...and something that makes me think. Is my health and fitness not good enough of a reason? I am giving up pizza for 30 Days right now...because it is good for my health and helps me on my path to where I need to be. I think I need to remind myself of the good reasons behind these challenges when I get a craving and my tummy starts rumbling for a cookie or some ice cream. Mmmm...cookies! *winks*

Anyways...

Labels: ,