Monday, October 02, 2006

Counting Down Until the End of the Year

Since I just had my official weigh in for October...I thought I would spend some time focusing on what the road ahead and my goals before reaching January 1st again.

This year...on January 1st...I looked at my health and fitness and it let a lot to be desired. I was eating horribly...not working out...and as a result...gaining weight. I decided that if I didn't take action...I was going to get right back into the overweight and unhappy pattern I have been in for my entire life.

So, I resolved to lose FIFTY pounds. As of this date, I have lost 36 pounds. There have been 39 weeks so far and that means that on average...I have lost .92 pounds a week. I am actually pretty happy with that number since I know that I have lost a lot more some weeks...and sometimes spent over a month gaining weight back. So, I think it is a pretty great success to have lost .92 pounds a week for the year so far.

And so what do I need to do for the rest of the year? Well...I would like to be at my goal weight by Januay 1st. If I crunch the numbers again...there are 14 weeks left in the year...and 14 pounds left to lose. That means...that on average I need to lose one pound a week for the rest of the year.

If I do that...when I weigh in on January 1st...I should have lost 50 pounds.

What things do I need to commit to doing in order to make that happen?

1. Keep watching what I eat...especially during those holiday months. It's so easy to let things slide in November and December...and call a maintain or a slight gain a success. That isn't good enough if I am going to reach my goal. If I maintain one week...it means the next week I need to lose 2 pounds to stay on course. If I gain one pound one week...it means the next week I need to lose 3 pounds to stay on course. If I think of it that way...it helps me keep motivated in order to get myself to have less slip ups. I know myself...well...I know that I do really well for a little bit and then start to back slide.

2. Keep working out...at least 4 times a week. Working out can compensate for when food sometimes isn't so great. It won't make up for eating a whole pie...but it will help keep me going in the right direction. AND...I know that if I am working out, it makes me less likely to cheat on the diet.

3. Keep the water flowing...I have been drinking tons of water lately. I have been taking in almost a gallon of water a day. It rocks! And...if I am drinking water constantly...with every swig, it is a constant reminder that I am making healthy decisions. chug, chug, chug!!

I know I have to keep my goals in the front of my mind...because it is always at this stage that I get into trouble. I get close enough to my goals...where I start to look good...feel good...so it is hard to keep the motivation through the roof. I start to slip a little...but since I still look good and feel good...I tell myself it is okay.

Not okay...and it won't help me be AT MY GOAL on January 1st! I need to be on my game everyday...or my ship will slowly start to sink.

Go Shelley! Go Me!