Friday, March 17, 2006

mom's doing great....

My mom is doing SO much better. She was on the vent from Tuesday night until today about noon...and each day she just got better and better. She didn't wake up much at all on Wednesday, which was good because she needed to get her rest in order to get better. On Thursday she started waking up...but got frustrated because she wasn't able to talk and wasn't able to tell us things she knew we needed to know, etc. But...by the beginning of Friday she was writing away a storm and really doing well...and once the tube came out, you couldn't stop her from talking.

I am so happy to see her doing so well...I thought she was going to be fine, but also a small part of me thought that we might lose a part of her because of all of this...I thought she might wake up a different person. Well, I couldn't be more wrong...my mom, her smile...her sense of humor is right here and not going anywhere.

She did break my heart a little on Thursday night...she was just beginning to write things down....asking what happened to her...why she was here...saying her arm was sore...she wanted more water on her lips, etc. So, she started to write something...that started "I'm sor.." I thought she was writing "I'm sore" And then she continued, "I'm sorr..." I took the paper away from her...and told her that she didn't need to be sorry...that I was her daughter and that I loved her and being with her is exactly where I want to be. Sometimes I forget just how much I desperately love my mom...and how much I would ache is she wasn't here. She's an amazing woman...and I am so lucky to have her as a mother.

phew...I really feel like my mom, my family dodged a bullet on this one. So, thank you to everyone who thought warm and kind thoughts. It definitely worked.