Friday, March 31, 2006

911 tapes

I was watching Good Morning America and they were doing a little story on how the NYPD was releasing a bunch of the 911 calls that were phoned in on September 11, 2001.

My heart sank when I heard this. I mean...why do we need to hear people calling in what was happening that day? What purpose does it serve? It's not like it is needed to piece together what really happened that day. We know.

I guess I just get frustrated with the media and the nation's need to continually retraumatize ourselves....over and over again. I don't want to hear the people calling in and reporting the last hours of their life. Many family members reported that they did not plan on listening to the tapes...because they didn't want to hear their loved ones like that.

I think some people think we need to "never forget" and that tapes like that help.

You know what...I won't ever forget. I was always remember that day, where I was...what it felt like. But, I don't feel the need to keep poking the wound. Moving on isn't forgetting either...and I need to stop reliving this. I think WE ALL need to stop reliving it.