Thursday, December 26, 2002

UJ: christmas reflection.....

Christmas has come and gone....well, kind of in my world since I will also be having a belated Christmas with my family in the middle of January.

I was at Shalom in the morning....and driving was kind of an issue since there was about 6 inches of snow on the ground. I was out and driving before most people....so, the roads weren't really plowed and I did a horrible job of uncovering my car, so let's just say I was lucky to make it there.

But once I got there, my luck kept going. There were a few volunteers already there and waiting to help and before it became 7:30am....the place was full of volunteers. I am always so impressed with the amount of volunteers that we get on holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. It really is wondeful. It takes a special kind of person...a special kind of family to come out in the early hours of the morning on Christmas day and volunteer. I am constantly amazed....

There was this one family....mom, dad and a little boy who was about six years old. They showed up at about 8am and helped us for about two hours before they headed upstairs to go to church. I really felt the Christmas spirit from these people....especially the little boy. He hadn't opened his Christmas presents yet....and wouldn't be doing that until he got home this afternoon. I know I didn't have that discipline and dedication when I was his age....since to me Christmas was all about the presents! So, seeing this little boy....who put volunteering and helping others in front of what Santa brought him....was a highlight of my day.

And all around the day was cheery....we had some great food. We served a huge breakfast which consisted of biscuits and gravy, eggs, potatoes, sausage, and bacon. There was enough food to feed people three times over....which is always a nice sight to see. I have begun to really like spending my holidays at Shalom.

And after we closed the center at about 1pm....I drove home, carefully! And then called my friend Jenni to see how the roads were between Bloomington and Brownsburg. Well, they weren't that bad. They weren't good either, but I decided I was gonna go. And as I was driving...they were pretty good until I got right into Brownsburg and then suddenly they were horrible. I was driving about 5 miles an hour....but I got there safe and sound.

Jenni's family is so wonderful....we chatted for a bit. I got to see all the lovely gifts that they opened this morning and then her grandparents came over and we had a really nice dinner. And her mom is so great....she always remembers the vegetarian friendly food that I like...and makes them for me. I brought some of my mom's fudge and cookies, which they loved. Jenni's mom just loved my mom's fudge, which will make her happy.

And then we all sat and opened presents...and jenni's family was so wonderful to me. Jenni bought me a great Vermont Old Navy shirt and a sunflower hand towel. Jenni's parents bought me a nice scarf...a little figurine and a gift certificate to Target (since they find it deplorable that I had never been to a Target before moving to Indiana). And her grandparents also got me a nice gift certificate to a restaurant here in town. It was such a nice surprise and so unexpected. I was so honored just to be able to spend Christmas with her family....and I didn't expect them to get me gifts of any kind. Once again...I can't express how wonderful her family is...and how blessed I feel to consider them my Indiana family.

And after the present time, we just kinda sat around and chatted....and then since it was getting late...it was time for me to drive home. The roads were much better by the time I drove home...but since it was dark and I knew I wouldn't be able to see the ice if there was any, I drove quite slow. I made it home safe and sound....and quickly fell right asleep.

All in all....a pretty great Christmas!

*hugs*