Thursday, November 28, 2002

UJ: thankful!

Happy Thanksgiving....you know as you grow up...you grow just a tad less selfish with each year, or at least I hope that most people do. I remember when I was little...and Thanksgiving was all about me and what I was going to eat and where I was going to sit and who was going to control the TV. When we went around the table and said the things we were thankful for...I barely thought about it. I would say something silly like "no homework over break." I kinda lived in my own bubble....and as I have grown, I have seen how much I truly have to be thankful and grateful for.

I had a great Thanksgiving today. I worked at Shalom, which didn't really seem like work. I got up at 5am and was at Shalom at about 6am-ish. Most of the people weren't going to be there until 7am, but I was afraid that a few would be there earlier...and I didn't want anyone waiting outside in the freezing cold. Well...what a day we had. We had so many volunteers...it was spentiful. The room was filled with a thankful and loving spirit. We cooked an amazing breakfast and had enough food to feed all those who wanted and needed food...not only once over, but twice or three times. I enjoyed just sitting with people and chatting about their lives....and it is wonderful to watch the interactions.

And then in the late afternoon....I went to my friend's home and spent some time with her family. We had a great Thanksgiving dinner. Her family has really taken me in...I feel like they are my Indiana family. I have spent many a holidays with them and always feel welcome. Her family is so wonderful too....they have so much spunk. There was constant laughing and joking around the table. I don't even think I can describe how wonderful it was to spend time with them this evening....even if I was dead tired and it was a little less than an hour drive. It was worth it and I am thankful beyond words.

So...I was thinking about the things I am thankful for and here is a small sample:

1. I am thankful for my family...who I missed spending the day with today. I loving miss my Mom, my Dad and yep...even my brother. This is the first Thanksgiving I wasn't with them...but was thinking of them often.

2. I am thankful for my Indiana family....I moved here not knowing a soul and now feel quite loved.

3. I am thankful for Shalom and all that it brings to my life. I noticed how blessed I was while I was with the group today eating brunch....that Shalom is my job. I get paid for doing what I do....how amazing!

4. I am thankful for all my friends in my life...all those close and far away. I don't think I always value my friends as I should.....and that really is a crime since I have some of the best friends that a gal can have.

5. I am thankful for someone having a hard time today and wanting a hug from me to make it better. It gived me such great joy to be able to be a source of comfort to someone.

6. I am thankful for the opportunities in my life. I was raised with the "You can do ANYTHING" attitude.....and so many doors have opened for me that I know remain locked for others.

7. I am thankful for those people in my life who believe in me and support me.

8. I am thankful for the humor in the world....and having the skill to be able to make people laugh. It's something I treasure.

9. I am thankful that I have convictions and that I am not afraid to stand up for what I believe in.

10. I am thankful for the open minds in the world....who are willing to listen, even if they never intend to agree.

11. I am thankful for comfort food, great TV shows, email, pesto pasta, trashy TV shows, music that makes me think about my life, the word hummina, etc....

12. Finally...I am thankful that I will have the opportunity to be thankful for countless things tomorrow.

Enjoy the day....with all that it brings.

Thankfully,