Friday, December 20, 2002

UJ: work craziness and memorial....

Today was crazy busy at work today....I think I had gotten used to working part time, but now I am really liking being back in the full time swing of things. Today I was a part of a committee which interviewed two candidates for the new positions in the new Family Resource Center. And then I interviewed the final candidate who will be doing her BSW practicum at Shalom next semester. I also went to a agency wide meeting in town for a couple of hours...and ran around doing errands for the center. So, I have spent a lot of time running from thing to thing to thing today....but right in the middle of the day, there was something quite wondeful.

Today we had the homeless memorial at Shalom. It is a service where we remember those who passed away in the last year who also were homeless. The pastor of the service really emphasized that no one is forgotten....in the eyes of God. And that the heart of God is large and encompassing. I am not a hugely religious person, but this meant something to me...it got to me. I do believe that there is a God of some sort and that God is loving and forgiving and compassionate. I don't believe in the hateful and vengeful God that so many religions do....and this service emphasized that point. I have seen a few of these ceremonies and they always mean a lot to me. The individuals we honored in many respects aren't remembered...and to most, aren't missed. That is truly sad....that some people's presence aren't missed or even noticed. To me...it is even sadder those people whose presence isn't noticed while they are still here. I work with many of these people everyday...and I wish people would take the time. I wish they would open their eyes and listen....because the people I see and chat with at Shalom have some of the greatest stories to tell.

One thing that lit a spark in me...is the reporter who came from the newspaper today. She sat in on the service and talked with many of the guests and staff. As she was leaving, I thanked her for coming. She said something as we parted. She said she was a member of this church and she attends the Christmas service every year with 500+ people...all singing the praises of the Lord, etc....but she said this small service at Shalom with maybe 20 or 30 people, was really what Christmas was about. Her comments were warming...they made me smile. And even more, they made me extremely pleased that a women with this perspective is writing an article about our agency and the work we do.

All in all...a great day! It's days like this that energize me...that refresh my enthusiasm. It would be an understatement to say today was a good day.

And now...off to a party. My friend Lindsay is graduating tomorrow and having a little shindig to celebrate!

*winks*