Tuesday, December 24, 2002

UJ: christmas eve is upon us....

This morning when I woke up, it didn't really feel like Christmas eve. I woke up at a little after 5am just like every other day when I open at the center....so, it kinda just felt like any other day. I thought about how it didn't feel like Christmas Eve when I was driving into work and wondering what this year's Christmas was going to feel like, since it is the first year ever that I haven't been home with my family....

But then I got to work....and the day began. And it is one thing that is amazing about Shalom....it is amazing to me how the spirit of the holidays is alive and well with the guests and the community. We had more volunteers than I expected, which was a gift. We had some students who were out of school and some other community members who wanted to spend their Eve working in the kitchen....

And....I don't know if I was in the situation that some of the Shalom guests...not knowing where my next meal was going to be, living in a shelter by someone else's rules, etc...if I would have such a positive and uplifting attitude. These smiling faces were wishing those a "merry christmas" and just enjoying the time of year. I think I would be much more bitter if I was in their situation. Sometimes I learn more from the individuals I ahve worked with than I ever give to them...and they remind me to be thankful for all the graces and gifts in my life, no matter how small.

I have had people tell me how sorry they are that I have to work on Christmas day....and that I probably miss being with my family. Well, yes...I do. I will miss spending the day with my family, BUT....I don't feel sorry for myself for being at Shalom. It is actually quite the opposite. I feel grateful that I have some place like Shalom to be....I felt that way on Thanksgiving and I know I will feel that way tomorrow.

I think this might be one of the first year's which Christmas hasn't been about me. I'll admit it, I was one of the most spoiled children growing up. Christmas was all about me....when I wanted to get up, what I was getting for Christmas, Did I get more presents than my brother, etc... Christmas was about family, but most importantly it was about me and gimme, gimme, gimme. I guess that is normal, but I am not that proud of how self-centered I was growing up....in many ways. I was very blessed growing up and I think I took it for granted that everyone had the opportunities that I did.

So...this year, I see a much broader perspective. Christmas isn't about gifts...since I really am not getting any on the actual day. Christmas is about being surrounded by people you love and spending time together...celebrating! So, maybe for the first time...I have found what Christmas meant...sometimes I wish I had the perspective to concretely know before!

Happy Holidays to everyone! I hope you are all surrounded by people you love....