Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sisterhood of Shelley's Pants

So, you know the book/movie Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants? Where these 4 friends share a pair of jeans and have lots of crazy adventures while wearing said pants?

Well, I kind of feel like I have that going on right now. No, not that my friends and I are wearing the same pair of pants and that they magically help us out in our adventures. But one of the magical things about the pants is that no matter what girl has the pants....they fit. That must make them magic because there is no way in hell that one pair of pants would fit both the healthy, but curvy America Ferrerra and the "needs a sandwich" Blake Lively and Amber Tamblyn. Those pants have to be some kind of crazy magic...to not have America's pants be a tent on poor, little, teeny, tiny Amber & Co.

I have a bunch of pants in a bunch of different sizes. I have some khaki Old Navy pants that are a size 12. They have the most interesting pockets and I adore them. They fit. They are a smidge loose, but nothing too severe. Then, I have about 2 pairs of size 10 pants. One is a pair of casual khakis and one is a pair of dress pants. Both fit. Then I have a truckload of size 8 pants. All of them fit, some are kind of on the loose side. I also have 2 or 3 pairs of size 6 pants. All fit. I have one pair of size 6 pants...actually they are crop pants that are a smidge too tight, but in a pinch...I guess they fit too.

So, I am a size 12, 10, 8 and 6...depending on the pants. I am either a freakin' shape shifter or there is a significant difference in pant sizes depending on who makes them and what not. A 12 fits...and a 6 fits. So, if I am ordering out of a catalog, what size does Shelley order? Well, the answer to that question is that I don't order out of a catalog. Usually, if forced...I order a size 8 and cross my fingers. It's usually the safest bet. Even if it is a little loose, it is usually wearable.

Shape Shifter Shelley. That's Me!