Monday, February 12, 2007

XP...here I come!

I haven't bought anything off ebay in a long time....and for the most part, I don't like buying things there. I tend to find that I pay more than I wanted...and get baited into paying more than I want...because I become invested in the thing I want. Plus...most stuff I just don't need.

But...I did buy something on ebay this morning. My computer at home...I have been using a very, very old operating system. My computer still has Windows 98 on it...and yes, I am aware that it is 2007. But, I really like 98, so I didn't want to upgrade. Well...the problem is that many many programs don't support 98 anymore, so it is hard to download programs or even simple things like virus protection.

So, I decided to upgrade to Windows XP. But, I like the professional version so much better than the personal version. I think it has less problems and is much more user friendly. I logged onto ebay and saw a listing which was going to expire in about 40 minutes for an XP Professional Upgrade. It was right around 100 bucks...and since it retails for about 200...I decided to go ahead and bid. I ended up paying 125 bucks for it, but with shipping...it is still much less than I would pay for it in the store. I think it is well over 150 at BJ's last time I looked.

Someone asked me...when I said I wanted to upgrade to XP...why aren't you going to upgrade to VISTA? Well...one, it just came out...and I don't trust new operating systems (duh- I currently have 98!)...and I wouldn't want to get VISTA until it has been around enough to have all the bugs worked out of it. I originally was going to wait until I bought a new computer to upgrade...but it's kind of like cars and car repairs. I can spend $125 now...and get my computer so that it works the way I want it...or spend $1000 on a new computer. I think the 125 is the better investment.

Labels: