Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Raw Food Day 1

So...after a lot of reading...and getting...actually...really excited about this idea of eating a good deal of my food raw...I am trying it out. I have a lot of people kind of look at me strangely when I saw I am transitioning to the Raw Food Diet, etc...so, I thought I would explain what is my plan for eating.

Right now...I am eating raw until about dinner time and then have a little bit of cooked food, but nothing heavy. One...they say not to start 100% in the beginning because it is too much of a change all at once. And two...I want to make sure Raw Food Dinners from my cookbook, but I am not going to be able to try them for a while, so a cooked dinner will work for now...until I am ready to eat even more raw.

Here is what today's plan is (and so far, I am on plan):

Breakfast
Large Grapefruit (and trust me they are HUGE!)

Snacks
Bowl of chopped watermelon and cantaloupe
Large Apple

Lunch
Large Garden Salad with Light Basalmic Vinagrette Dressing
Raw Pumpkin Seed

Snack
Bag of Baby Carrots

Dinner
Small Salad
Bowl of Veggie Soup

Dessert
1/2 Cup of Ice Cream (I have it in the freezer....so I am going to slowly eat it and then replace it with something like sorbet or gelato or something like that.)

I am really exciting about this raw food thing...since I have been a vegetarian for 6 years now...and the fact that I love raw fruits and veggies...I think this diet seems doable, easy and really enjoyable. I would love a bowl of fruit anyday instead of a bowl of chocolate...don't get me wrong, I love my chocolate too, but I love fruit more. Plus...I often overeat on sweets and carbs...like candy or pizza or pasta. With this new way of eating...it really eliminates those as problems areas. Will I never eat a pizza again? Probably not, but I don't think it will be a regular occurence in my diet.

P.S. I have been snacking on raw pumpkin seeds the whole time I was writing this....

Labels: