Friday, October 06, 2006

gas prices...

Gas prices have been on the decline...as everyone out there knows...or at least anyone not living under a rock...and those driving around these means streets.

I drove past the local gas station today on the way to work and the price of gas is 2.49/gallon. I thought to myself...wow, gas is really cheap.

And in context...it is. I am definitely going to fill up while the prices are low and I hope they don't make a turn in the other direction...but as it gets colder...it often does.

I then thought about the price of gas in 2000 when I first moved out to Indiana. I remember pretty consistently filling up for about .99/gallon. I don't think we will ever see gas prices like that again. Honestly, I don't we will ever even see gas prices under $2/gallon again. Things in the middle east are just too volatile...and even if they weren't...supply is being used up all the time. I often wonder what we are going to do when there just isn't any oil left....because someday we will be facing that.

I know that our scientists and our leaders are really looking for alternative energy solutions...much more than we were in generations past. I look forward to their solutions...and a day when our country can't be hijacked by those who control the oil. I know those solutions exist...corn being used as a source of fuel, etc...but we need to fully research them and make them viable.

But today...I am going to fill up at 2.49/gallon and just thank my lucky stars! *winks*