Friday, September 15, 2006

finding time to lift weights...

I love cardio, I really do. I used to hate people in college who said that...who looked forward to working out. I was so in my own denial that I couldn't think that they could be telling the truth when they talked about how great they felt after sweating through an hour workout.

I love to get my sweat on...to be on the elliptical and really rock it for 45 minutes or an hour. My elliptical and I are having a mad affair.

However...I have a hard time motivating myself to do the circuit or strength training, even though I KNOW how important it is. I know how I am much more likely to lose lean muscle if I don't do strength training...and how strength will help maintain my metabolism, etc.

But...I always want to do the cardio and feel like I have to talk myself into the strength training. And here is why...when I finish with the weights, I don't get that "I am covered in sweat...feeling that I just got a really good, hard workout in." My muscles often feel fatigued and tired the day after...but I don't get that instant gratification that I just did GOOD!

So...here is my plan. I am going to take my circuit training and break it up. The whole routine usually takes 45 minutes or so and is broken down into 4 different sets. So, I am going to do one segment of the training everyday...with my cardio. I am going to run on the elliptical for 45 minutes, but also do 10 minutes or lifting. Therefore, I will get the circuit training in...but also get the ever so great cardio.

I think that might just be the perfect solution, if I do say so myself.