Friday, April 09, 2004

UJ: My obsession with the Apprentice

I've written before that I shamefully love Donald Trump's show, 'The Apprentice.' I admit it...I enjoy it...I look forward to seeing it each and every week. And yep...I care who wins. As for proof of how obsessed I am with this reality show...here is an incredibly long post with my thoughts:

I didn't watch it until they moved it to Thursday nights...and since then, I have been hooked.

So, last night...there were 4 players left in the game and during the show, 2 more would be fired. Their final competition as a foursome was to go through a grueling set of interviews with 4 people in Trump's company...who he completely trusts.

In the end, Nick and Amy got sent home. I thought Kwame might get sent home, but in the end...I wasn't surprised it was Nick or Amy. It wouldn't have been my choice, but I also understand why the decision was made. The game is now between Bill and Kwame.

I have said before...Nick is my guy. One, on a girly level...I think he is easy on the eyes and has charm and charisma through the roof. But, more than that...since I would never select someone because they were charming and pretty, if it were me, I would have hired Nick. I think Nick has the personality to lead people...and sometimes that is more important than the skill sets needed to lead. I think Nick knows the value of establishing a personal relationship and what that can mean in the future. When I decided about Nick...it was during the episode where they had to raise money by riding the bikes around NYC. I was sold on Nick when one of the signs fell off...and there was an issue as to whether or not to refund the money to the business. Bill told Nick to meet with the guy and talk him into accepting as little money back as possible. Nick met with the guy...and gave him all the money back. Nick said he felt like he needed to do the right thing...and that he couldn't try to swindle this man out of his money when he didn't get the service. Also, Nick mentioned that the personal and business relationship was more important to business than the few hundred dollars he might be giving back. I would want someone like that working for me...someone who has a sense of what is right and what is wrong, a strong sense of business...and someone who sees the big picture. Bill was worried about the couple hundred dollars...Nick was seeing the big picture. So, if I were Trump...I would have selected Nick. I think he needs some mentorship and some experience, but I think he is a gem...and a keeper.

I was HAPPY to see Amy go, well...kind of. I was saddened that now there are no longer any women in the game. Do we remember how this show started? In the first 5 competitions...when it was men vs. women...the women won every time. Since the teams got mixed up...the women have slowly disappeared. I think the women became their own enemy. I am saddened though...that obviously these women showed such strength...and now, none of them are remaining.

But, as for Amy...I am happy to see her go. I never thought she was that amazing to begin with. I think she manipulates things...and outright lies when something happened that would not make her look good. Example? In the episode where they had to do an event at the Taj Mahal. Amy had the idea for the rental car...which blew. When Trump asked whose idea it was...hmm, what did Amy say? Amy says, "Oh, I don't remember whose idea it was...." I don't want someone working for me...who will lie to their employer to save their own ass. I also think Amy's ego needed to be checked...big time. I think she thought that this game was hers to win...and because of that, she wasn't effective...she was annoying. Amy deserved to get fired....and now, she seems to be living in the bitter barn with Nick!

Bill and Kwame are battling out now...with former Apprentice players as their employees instead of their teammates. They have to plan and run a Trump event and whoever does the best job is hired. How interesting! I think that Kwame and Bill...both made some pretty big mistakes, so if I was hiring...I am not sure I would want to hire either of them.

Bill: Until last night, I was VERY impressed with Bill. I think he will probably win the game now, but I think he is screwing up. Bill went from a team player to a cocky guy in a matter of minutes. I was not impressed with how Bill started dealing with people once he became the "boss." The biggest mistake for me...is his arrogant attitude and how he is treating the people he is doing the event for. Bill's event is on a golf course...and through the whole episode, he proceeded to just piss off everyone who is working at the golf course. He is acting like only his concerns matter...and he bluntly said so to the camera. How is that establishing a relationship with the people there? Do you think any of the people at the golf course would want to do an event again with Bill? I would think not. And...he doesn't seem to be working at all as a team with his "employees." I would careful...cause I think Bill's team might be more interested in sabotaging him than Kwame's...since Bill's "employees" like Amy and Nick...are completely living in the bitter barn, so working hard for Bill might not be their top priority. Anyways...I think Bill's attitude and arrogance sucks...so for that, I think he is failing at this job.

And KWAME: In my opinion, Kwame isn't doing that well either. Each player had to pick 3 employees...and I just don't get why Kwame chose Amarosa. I really don't...what was she going to bring to the team? He had Heidi and Nick still to choose from...what was he thinking? Amarosa was just doing to bring drama to whatever team she was on.

I think Heidi hit the nail on the head when she talked about the problem with Kwame...he is non-confrontational and he is unwilling to not be the nice guy. Kwame did some things extremely well...he involved his players in the plan and really treated them like a team, not just lowly employees. I think that was very good...but his dealing with Amarosa was terrible. She outright lied to him...and has put his whole event at jeopardy by losing the talent through her lack of attention to details. What do I think Kwame should have done? I think Kwame should have fired her. I think Trump would have loved that....I think it would have shown amazing leadership qualities on Kwame's part. It would have been a hard thing to do, but I think it would have made Kwame's team stronger...and more likely to succeed. I think Kwame is smart as can be...and he is one heck of a nice guy....but, I don't see that he has the instinct of an executive...and that he is a leader.

I don't think much of Bill or Kwame anymore, but if I had to choose one...I would pick Kwame. I think Kwame could learn over time to be a leader...but, I don't see Bill learning to lose that arrogance and attitude. Hmm...I'll be watching next Thursday to see what happens.

Reality TV is the devil....but lord, I love that devil!

*winks*

Shelley