Sunday, June 08, 2003

UJ: updating....

Hi there....

I have been told by numerous sources that I need to update this things more often...and you know what, they are right! It's been a while. Work has been keeping me crazy busy, but for the most part I am enjoying it.

THE JOB:

There are some glitches at work....nothing that isn't expected when suddenly you are thrust into management. We have funding through this huge grant which was given to the Bloomington community. And, the people in charge of the grant...well, sometimes they make me want to pull my hair out. Sometimes it seems like I spend more time trying to help them and make them happy than I do helping the families for which this money is designed. So...that bugs me...BUT...the good news is that the staff at Shalom...we are so dedicated to our work. We aren't letting this snag get in our way. It's just an interesting lesson that confirms that sometimes when money is involved....you have to jump through hopes and do things that you usually would not do!

But on the positive side...I am still loving the direct aspect of my job. I love working with the families....being someone positive and supportive in their lives. I love the fun programming things we are doing. We just started a month long cooking class for some of our families. It's aspects like this...that make the snags WELL worth it! AND...I love the staff we have at the family center. They are some of the most amazing women I have ever worked with. I couldn't be luckier!!!!

MY CAR:

And my car....oh...it's so beautiful! I keep finding new features everyday that I love! I feel very spoiled, since I never thought I would have a car which is as nice as this. I always thought if I bought another car...it would be used and probably something I was willing to live with, but not exactly what I wanted. This car...it is what I wanted. It's a 2002...which is probably the closest I will ever get to a new car. Now my new debate because I always have one...is what to do with the old (not working) car. I was hoping to get it running and then donate it to the local domestic violence shelter, but since I don't want to put more money into getting it running...I am either going to call this one place that will take any kind of car or I am going to just junk it. Right now, it is just sitting in my parking lot...looking very sad and unloved! hee, hee I was hoping to give her a new home, but I looks like I will just be putting her out to pasture!

And....now, what should I name my new car? Have any ideas...through them my way! And if you want to see my new car, send me an email...and I will get ya some pics!!!

FRIENDS, ET AL:

The past few weeks have been very nice. I have a small, but very supportive group of friends here. I have also been branching out with some people at work and at another agency that I often work with. I can sometimes be the life of the party and at other times be very isolating....and for a little bit, I was in the isolating period....but it seems for a time that I have broken out of that. I have a couple of friends that I see almost daily. We enjoy hanging out...watching trashy TV or just running out to get ice cream. It reminds me a lot of my time in college, which was probably the best time in my life. I think I have grown to really appreciate how wonderful my friends are...and to make sure that I am spending time with them.

Also...one of my best friends. She is a very neat person...her apartment is also picked up and everything is usually in place. Well, let's just say the same is not usually true for me, but for the past week she has had a very good influence on me. I was getting sick of my messy apartment, but too overwhelmed to begin cleaning...well...she was my savior...started cleaning with me and now it is something that I really want to do. Everyday I work a little bit on cleaning either a room or organizing something. And, it's a nice feeling. Also...I love that I can have friends over and hang out and not have to worry about the place being messy. So...who knows how long this will last, but hey...I am trying to make life changes here! Wish me luck!!!

FAMILY:

My mom is going really well...thank you to everyone who asked. She got out of the hospital and really was following doctors' orders and taking care of herself. I am so proud of her. She is such an amazing woman...and so supportive of me. I often wonder how I would have turned out if I didn't have the amazing set of parents that I did.

And this weekend...today actually...my mom and dad are going to Maine for the day. My grandfather passed away almost 2 years ago and his ashes were cremated. My mom wanted to take care of his ashes with at least my aunt....and this was the first time they both could be together and do something. So, my mom, dad, aunt and uncle are getting together to spread his ashes over the ocean...just as he would have wanted. I would have loved to attend, but I just couldn't get there....being so far away. And then my parents are going to bury a brick with my grandfather's name on it behind the house where my mom grew up. Then they are going to place some ashes there. So, if anyone wants to visit...there is a place. I think that is such a nice idea and I also think it is a great healing moment for my mom. I miss my grandfather...he was an amazing amazing man who I didn't get to see enough. I will look forward to going to Maine to visit him.

And my brother...he is considering a move to Oregon. A lot of his friends live out there. Suddenly, I won't be the kid who moved far away if he moves. I am not sure when he plans on moving or even if this is serious, but if he does...I will love going to visit him, since i have never been to that part of the country before.

MELLENCAMP:

How could I update the journal without mentioning Mellencamp's new album. It got released last Tuesday and of course...I went right out and bought it. This album is a collection of covers from old Blues songs. At first, I wasn't sure what I thought...but as I listened...I really fell in love with the CD. It's call "Trouble No More." I also saw a small documentary on the making of the album, so it made me love the album and the man even more. Before the album...I was losing some of my mellen-ambition. I just wasn't feeling as connected to the music, etc....but the new album did the trick. It re-energized and it is a good feeling!

Well, I think that is enough babbling on for now!

*waves*